Featured Vintage skateboards.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Tiquer, Jun 18, 2024.

1. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

As much as I hate to admit it, the skateboards that I skated as a kid are now 40+ years old.

I've picked up a few and am wondering if anyone else does the same, and also wondered if anyone is restoring them yet.

pearlsnblume, Marote and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Relax. You're only vintage, not yet antique.

Debora

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

In that case, those skateboards are not antique, so you may have to change your title. Antique is 100 yrs or over.

NewEngland, Marote and johnnycb09 like this.
  4. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

Updated

pearlsnblume and Debora like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I wouldn't know how or why to restore a skateboard.....

but if it's vintage....with the right name attached to it.... $

that said....they were meant to be brutalized..... so I doubt any clean ones still exist !

6. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Here's my 1963 Makaha Skateboard I got for Xmas of '63,the month after JFK was killed.
    The pics of a new repop-mine has the orig color aqua wheels on it & need a light restoration.
    MAKAHA.jpg

J Dagger, Boland, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I had a skateboard in the mid sixties. I believe it was red.
    It was lost when we moved back to Brooklyn from Calif along with some of my other toys. Mayflower movers.:mad:

8. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

I have what appears to be a 1983 Powell Peralta Tony Hawk board on the way to me now. I will post pics when it arrives. :)

aaroncab, komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

ya well....there's a name !!!!!

Tiquer likes this.
  10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I tried riding a skateboard back in the 1970s... once! :eek:

Tiquer likes this.
  11. bosko69

pearlsnblume likes this.
  12. bosko69

@Tiquer are you specializing in vintage skateboards ?

pearlsnblume likes this.
  13. pearlsnblume

I honestly don't remember... LOL All I know it was well used by me and red. Beyond that my memory is shot.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2024
  14. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

Not sure if I'm specializing in them or not, more like going back to the hobby.

Kids in the neighborhood were fellow skaters, and gave me my PP board so that I could be a part of it all. I loved it. Dressed up the board with Tracker trucks, and wheels with [fast] german bearings. I rode that thing like crazy.

The kids up the street were in a cul-de-sac, and that cul-de-sac was on a decline- they'd put a quarter pipe at the bottom, so you'd pick up speed to hit the pipe. This was during the time when everyone was a hardass, and none of us wore pads or helmets. A close friend of mine decided he was going to JUMP the quarter... He headed for the quarter, went up the ramp, lost his balance, and the board went one way and he went the other He hit the asphalt, head first (back of his head). Upon impact, started convulsing and vomiting. I ran like a 3 year old to get his parents, who rushed him to the hospital. Sadly, the impact forced his brain to hit the front of his skull, and he required brain surgery. They ended up removing a portion of his brain :O

Long story short, none of us in the crew continued skating- my deck either went in the trash or out at a yard sale. Here I am , 40 years later, missing it badly and attempting to score another one. I swear I won't be jumping any pipes with it if I get another one!!

kentworld, komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  15. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

I rode my son's the other night and forgot how much instant exercise they are!!

komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  16. pearlsnblume

If I ever tried it again I would be a bag of bones splattered all over the street.
    I still have my ice skates. Used to go skating with my friends at Prospect Park in the winter.

NanaB and Tiquer like this.
  17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They now make electric ones with batteries. I couldn't have ridden one on my best day, so I never tried.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  18. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

They aren't hard, you just need balance. I can't do all of those crazy tricks, though!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

exactly.:p:p:p:p:p My balance always sucked and these days I have enough nerve damage that on a bad day standing still with my eyes shut is a good trick.

lovewrens and pearlsnblume like this.
  20. bosko69

Draft saved Draft deleted