Vintage Root Wood Table Plaque.

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by 'Nuff_Said, Sep 20, 2014.

1. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

Found this small metal plaque attached to a vintage root wood table. Any thoughts on who the designer might be? Not sure what it reads...

Thanks!

LABEL 001-001.JPG

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Sort of looks like RK or ZK (I have no idea) but I wonder if someone might be more likely to recognize it from the seeing the actual table.

3. 'Nuff_Said

Thanks SIS for taking the timeout to help with this small plaque. I thought the same....RK.

The table is just a pile of twisted roots, I doubt if anyone could recognize the designer from that mess.

Thanks again for your help.

4. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

I looked in a couple of my "modern" books", none show marks only names. Can you post a photo of the whole piece? I can compare it to other "root tables" in the few books that show them. There are several very famous designers made tables like that in the 1970s. In calif they show up fairly often at estate sales and they are snapped up by dealers. A good seller here in Calif.

5. 'Nuff_Said

Hi Trip,

Thanks for taking the timeout to search your reference material. As you may or may not know, I know next to nothing when it comes to antique and vintage furniture, so thanks for trying to help.

The older woman we purchased this piece from said she had it about 10 years or so and it originally came out of a Downingtown, PA. estate. She also said it once had a thin glass top with curvy slanted edges (I assume she means ruffled and/or beveled), but her granddaughter was vacuuming and accidentally hit the glass pretty hard and broke it. She had a thick piece of oval glass made for it at the cost of $175. The table is small and sits quite low compared to others I've seen on-line. It has a very nice patina and the small bronze/brass plaque is attached at top-center-left. Below are three images -- one with flash and two without.

Size approx: 31 x 29 x 12 in.

TABLE AND POTTERY 001-001.JPG

TABLE AND POTTERY 002-001.JPG

TABLE AND POTTERY 004-001.JPG

mymysharona43 likes this.
  6. 'Nuff_Said

Also, here are the base images of those studio pottery pieces. The one appears to have the incised initials KG or KC, and I cannot decipher the initials on the other piece.

TABLE AND POTTERY 006-001.JPG TABLE AND POTTERY 007-001.JPG

7. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Nuff: Now that I see the table, it is different than I thought it would be. I would call this table a driftwood base table. Have you searched driftwood table base? New stuff coming out of Asia, but your looks older with a much nicer patina and signed.

Neither studio pottery signature are obvious to me. I place the initials in my home grown search engine and see if anything comes up.

Draft saved Draft deleted