Vintage Plaster Democrat Donkey ?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by rondogoldie, Dec 31, 2014.

1. rondogoldie

rondogoldie New Member

Hello everyone,

Ive been searching the internet for anything I can find on this. I rescued this from an abandoned house that was going to be demolished. Its a to scale plaster donkey that's obviously for a political purpose. It is old, a little rough around the edges and its ears have fallen off. However someone took a lot of time making this! My problem is I can not find anything like this online or even close. Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you so much

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      200.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      183.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      217.2 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      280.5 KB
      Views:
  2. maryislgal

maryislgal Well-Known Member

Wow--- I like it !
    I've never seen one that size. Great conversation piece for sure.

3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

4. rondogoldie

rondogoldie New Member

Yeah that is a valid point.

5. maryislgal

maryislgal Well-Known Member

6. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Is it attached to the two boards under it in the photo?
    Have you seen the bottom of the hooves and do they look like they were previously attached to anything other than the boards it is on now?
    Does it look like it has always been attached to those boards (the boards look "newer" to me than the animal)?
    Is it covered in skin/hide?
    Is that real animal hair for the tail?
    How heavy (approximately) is it?
    What are the eyes made of?
    Do you think it could possibly be an animal which has been preserved through taxidermy?

I wonder if it was a state's (or even national) Democratic Convention's "mascot" which may have even been "on-stage" during conventions or smaller political gatherings or perhaps even pulled along (on wheels) in parades.

It is a very interesting item.

7. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I even searched "Dandy Dem" to see if it showed up as an old movie or even as an old comic strip -- I came up empty-handed on both.

8. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

It's a Jack-ass in particular, going back to it's first political association with Andrew JACKson in the 1820s.

I think you've got a very good find on your hands there.
    The political angle just adds interest in spades.
    I would be tempted to call this Folk art. Or maybe the animal is made in Germany. It reminds me of a large Putz type animal maybe adapted by the local Dem party.
    Circa?........1900? Maybe earlier?
    Be very careful with it. Overall the condition isn't all that bad. I think it's very "restorable" but this should be done by an experienced sympathetic hand. Improper handling could destroy the value. By "restorable" I mean NO MORE than a good cleaning and reattaching the ears. Beyond that value suffers. Even cleaning should be very thoughtful. I notice a very nice patina of genuine age that could easily be lost with to aggressive an approach.

I would LOVE to see this in person, but more photos would be nice.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
    spirit-of-shiloh and gregsglass like this.
  9. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I haven't had any luck researching this either. The only "Dandy Dem" I have come across is used today as a derogatory name calling of a very liberal Democratic by ultra conservative Republicans & Democrats.

A little off subject of the donkey, I thought it was interesting to see the term "Dandy Democrat" was used in mid-Victorian era literature such as Shirley Brooks calling Clarvering Dorset a "dandy democrat" in Aspen Court, and Who Lost and Who Won. Also saw where Dickens himself was referred to as a "dandy democrat."

May have been something like Don suggested, a German Putz toy, or maybe something like one of the following, but not as old, that a Democratic candidate latched on to.

Look at #42 through #47 and $49:
    http://www.horstauction.com/AntiqueFall'13List.html

--- Susan

10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Wow. Someone who reads mid-Victorian literature. :)

kentworld likes this.
  11. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I had a donkey but he passed at age 38 :( I would love to make a life size donk and a horse some day.

16019309.jpg

gregsglass likes this.
  12. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    When I saw this photo today I thought of this post.
    greg tumblr_medcomzk8Y1qdfsh0o1_500.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted