Vintage Pipe Wrench Questions

Discussion in 'Tools' started by Robin L. Kiskunes, Jan 26, 2024.

1. Hi guys,

I found this at another estate sale a few days ago. Was wondering why the wrench becomes narrow, tapers at the end and has a screw in handle. I have not seen this before. The handle says KROO No. 7 - Foreign Patents Pending.

Also was wondering what the numbers mean on this wrench. The numbers say 179. Is this a model number? I think this Stillson Wrench . DSCN1163 Wrench Straight up2.jpg DSCN1165 Top Wrench w no handle2.jpg DSCN1166 Top Wrench no handle2.jpg DSCN1149 No. on Wrench1.jpg

DSCN1205 Close up Wrench Handle.jpg

Bronwen likes this.
  2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

It used to have a wooden handle
    The piece on it now is nothing like the original

3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 26, 2024
    aaroncab, Any Jewelry and Rayo56 like this.
  4. Thanks for your answer. Yes I thought also that this handle looked like a file handle. The wrench just looked very strange on this kind of handle.

5. RustyDysty

RustyDysty New Member

The wooden handle is most definitely for a metal file or wood rasp but the pipe wrench handle looks to be a spud wrench. Spud wrenches were and presumably still used by iron workers erecting structural steel beams. The pointy end was used to line two holes up so a bolt or rivet could be inserted and then tightened with the wrench end. Never saw a pipe wrench with that feature and I can't imagine why it would be necessary. Although a pipe wrench probably predates the typical adjustable wrench we have today. The pic is of a typical spud wrench Screenshot_20240223_210958_Google.jpg

Robin L. Kiskunes likes this.
  6. Thank you so much for your answer. This is very interesting. When I saw this wrench I knew it looked kind of odd with a pointy end like that.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted