Vintage modern art?- Info help please

Discussion in 'Art' started by Boland, Feb 23, 2023.

1. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

78B11247-BDFD-4B81-8B49-197A9DF96B50.jpeg 1B102F93-7500-4C8B-8AB0-0D166EDC0A6E.jpeg 0E95D76B-89A0-4D9F-AE43-B9C4490F5186.jpeg 6773ED5E-2ACB-4743-A89D-36CE0E6F776C.jpeg 2A09F1C5-3F3D-461E-9403-ABB50B7C949C.jpeg 83524441-959F-4949-AB83-9DA4F8680135.jpeg Hi all,I found this interesting and I like the colours used. Would this be considered ‘modern’ or ‘abstract’. Looks to have some age? Was thinking maybe even 70’s? I have the artist as A.Cumlue or A. Camlue? (But no info found) Or what would you think regarding the artist? It’s 39x33cm? Framed with glass. Thank you for any comments and help

reader likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Canbie?

Boland likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What is the medium? Appears to be oil. But... behind glass?

Debora

Boland likes this.
  4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks. Will try

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A. Cunhill?
    Medium could be gouache?

Aquitaine and Boland like this.
  6. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Hi Debora and thank you for the reply. My art knowledge is sadly very little. Personally I was debating between acrylic and oil paint. I came to the conclusion that it was oil (mainly because it looks so thick and perhaps a little ‘oily’ in places?) But yes it is framed with glass so Iam probably wrong.

7. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks AJ. Will also try A. Cunhill. Had to ‘google’ gouache :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I asked because it looked like oil to me too but oil paintings aren't typically hung behind glass.

Debora

Lucille.b and Boland like this.
  9. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

I understand. Would you also think it has some age? Maybe 70’s or more 80’s?

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Really hard to tell. That dark blue mat does look 1980s. The frame could be as well although could be earlier. Why don't you open it up?

Debora

mirana and Boland like this.
  11. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

For no reason other than the colors I think its late 70s early 80s. I quite like it but that frame is ghastly. Cardboard is death to art,so replace all that asap. Ive tried every variation I can think of on the name,no luck.

mirana and Boland like this.
  12. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response and advice. Also really appreciate you making such a effort with the name.

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's like a Calder mobile. Move any element an inch in any direction and the whole composition falls apart (visually).

Debora

Bonhams_Calder_Maripose1500x945.jpg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
    Boland likes this.
  14. Antiquefab

Antiquefab Well-Known Member

Think it might be by Edward Arthur Cantrell,South African artist,abstract work.Signature looks about right.

reader, Any Jewelry, Boland and 6 others like this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

17. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Brilliant! Thank you so much. I really appreciate the help. On my own I would have never figured it out.

johnnycb09 and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted