Featured Vintage Large BasketTrying T0 Find Out Maker 20" tall

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by antiquelover69, May 24, 2023.

1. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

I got this large basket from a Church Sale Store.The Workers didn't have any idea.Measure from to to bottom 20" tall.Basket has a top.Any idea who the maker is or maybe Native American? I have no idea. SAM_1385.JPG SAM_1386.JPG SAM_1387.JPG SAM_1388.JPG SAM_1391.JPG SAM_1393.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. antiquelover69

judy likes this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It is an interesting technique, which I have not seen before. The material looks like it might be palm leaf, and the start looks like a method I have seen on some African baskets. But it will require some research.

antiquelover69 and Potteryplease like this.
  5. 2manybooks

@antiquelover69 - Can you please post a straight on photo of the whole lid, top and bottom?

I think it might be a twining technique, but the elements are so big it is difficult to "read" the structure.

Last edited: May 25, 2023
  6. antiquelover69

These are top and bottom. SAM_1456.JPG SAM_1457.JPG SAM_1459.JPG

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. 2manybooks

With the better view of the bottom of the basket, it does appear to be a twining technique even though it looks like it is coiled (particularly on the interior). Looking at the 4-square start, you can see multiple spokes spiraling out, which would be characteristic of twining.
    unknown basket bottom.JPG

Materials and technique are the most useful features when trying to identify a basket. It is still my feeling that this basket comes from somewhere in Africa, but I have not been able to find a close comparison after scanning the British Museum's online catalog for Africa, as well as Oceania and Mexico.

Perhaps @Taupou has seen something similar?

Draft saved Draft deleted