Featured Vintage JR BAZAAR Sears dress??

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Tricia Harr, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Tricia Harr

Tricia Harr Well-Known Member

eveNing everyone, I thought this was a nightgown, but now I'm thinking it's a dress.. what do u guys think? also 70's?? super cute..
    tia 2019-06-04-00-40-19.jpg 2019-06-04-00-41-01.jpg 2019-06-04-00-41-19.jpg 2019-06-04-00-42-46.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

well it is kinda see thru.......... so I'd keep it in the bedroom.....;);)

3. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Nightgown, for sure. Pretty color and fun trim :)

komokwa likes this.
  4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I agree with sleepwear and late 1970s. :)

komokwa and scoutshouse like this.
  5. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I don’t disagree with sleepwear but why limit yourself? I’d put sheer dress in the title too if listing.

The 70s were my 20s and we wore lots of sheer stuff with tights etc. One of my favorite “hippie wedding” outfits was a very fine challis paisley maxi skirt (totally see thru in light) with a black lace off the shoulder peasant blouse that my mom had made in Mexico in the 50s. I wore it with tights and a cami. I wish I still had them but really regret letting go of the belt which I had made in a local leather shop. It was a hugely wide (came up almost to the boobs) black suede and untanned leather with antique studs and 2 buckles. Crazy piece.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

We wore those as dresses: I had its twin, albeit made here. One reason was that "nightwear" had lower tax, so was cheaper. That meant many shops sold nightdresses which were no such thing. I still have a couple.

Late 70s.

7. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I think it IS a dress .. those sleeves don't look like nightwear to me ... Joy.

VickyRenee and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I think it can be worn however the owner chooses: from lingerie to club dress to bathing suit cover. Fashion rules IMO went out the window long ago.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  9. Christmasjoy

Of COURSE one could wear it anyway they wish .. just giving my opinion on whether it is dress or nightwear !!! ... Joy.

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

would you wear it out...knowing your thong tag could be seen by .... everyone..?
    :hungry::hungry::jawdrop::jawdrop::eek::eek:

kyratango likes this.
  11. Christmasjoy

If I was younger and with a slip under it ... I just might. ... Joy.

12. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I would have when I was younger with tights or leggings and a cami. I wore a ton of sheer but always over stuff.I still wear sheer over layers for evening.

Jivvy, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  13. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I understand-just saying that IMO its original intent is meaningless. Irrelevant. Young people are far more apt to wear it out over layers as a dress or poolside than in the bedroom so I’d call it a sheer dress over a nightgown and agree with you. If it were being listed, nightgown would be a keyword too but I think stretching out in bed with that sleeve and back tie would be beyond annoying. I can see it as a “party hardy” piece but have no guess how Sears originally marketed it.

If anyone is so inclined to research old Sears ads and catalogues from the mid to late 70’s I think they’d find similar if not exact and then they’ll hopefully post. Not volunteering for that job LOL.

Christmasjoy, Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  14. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

My goodness, that sounds like an actual positive use of Pinterest.

I'm not volunteering, either. :p

reader and Christmasjoy like this.
  15. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I am not a vintage clothing maven by any stretch of the imagination, but when I first saw it, I thought dress.
    Put on your Sunday best kids, we are going to Sears. LOL

Tricia Harr, reader and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted