Vintage Hugo Boss Jacket made in Bosnia?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by journeymagazine, Sep 18, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a thrift store; at first I thought it was a Members Only jacket until I saw the Hugo Boss label!

One thing that surprised me was the label in the collar says Made in Bosnia?!

Is this a real Hugo Boss? How old is it? Does it have a name/style?

Thank you for any information
    PS - Sorry for the exterior photo; the flash on the black cloth made it look pale but more clear than inside photos so I included one in case it helps.

CLOTHES JACKET HUGO MEMBERS ONLY LOOK 1AA.JPG CLOTHES JACKET HUGO MEMBERS ONLY LOOK 2AA.JPG CLOTHES JACKET HUGO MEMBERS ONLY LOOK 3AA.JPG CLOTHES JACKET HUGO MEMBERS ONLY LOOK 4AA.JPG CLOTHES JACKET HUGO MEMBERS ONLY LOOK 5AA.JPG CLOTHES JACKET HUGO MEMBERS ONLY LOOK 5BAA.JPG CLOTHES JACKET HUGO MEMBERS ONLY LOOK 6AA.JPG CLOTHES JACKET HUGO MEMBERS ONLY LOOK 6AAA.JPG

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Brands started outsourcing manufacturing to Eastern Europe in the 1980s and then production of almost everything moved to China in the 1990s.

Debora

3. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

It's definitely has the 80's look. Ever seen one like it, because I can't find it (maybe need to take a better photo for image search)?

4. reader

reader Well-Known Member

No need to do any further resesrch.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd call it a bomber jacket (although a bit of a motorcycle jacket styling.) Let's see what others think.

Debora

6. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Hugo Boss was founded 95 years ago In Jablanica Bosnia by Hugo Asan Salihamidzic.
    Mikey

kentworld likes this.
  7. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

I was made there as well ;)

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Hugo Boss was founded by German fashion designer Hugo Ferdinand Boss, Metzingen 1885-1948. Hence the name Hugo Boss.;)
    The company also made uniforms for the SS, SA and Wehrmacht, using wartime slave labour. After the war Hugo Boss lost his right to vote in W. Germany. The company paid a high fine.

I bet my father didn't know about this dark side, he always wore Hugo Boss coats.:oops:

As Debora said, many Western manufacturers outsourced manufacturing to Eastern Europe (leaving Western European workers out of a job).

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
    916Bulldogs123, Branka and kentworld like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And Americans. Which has brought us here to where we are today.

Debora

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It didn't become an independent state till 1992, so that's the earliest. I'd suspect the jacket is later than that, given the war. Eighties, it would have said Yugoslavia.

Draft saved Draft deleted