Vintage Horn Carvings

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Jay D, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Jay D

Jay D New Member

These were purchased in the mid 1940's to 1950 in Asia? I can't even say those statements are 100% accurate. they are horn and I'm positive they are not ivory. the bases, cups and accessories are all the same material. They had a clear coating applied at some time long ago and has since almost worn off. I did try the "burn/smell" test with a red hot metal point which produced a foul burnt hair smell. That is the extent of my professional testing abilities. So I turn to YOU. First impression? Seen 15 - 20 exact replicas at the flea market? I will provide additional info at your request. DSC04340 (640x480).jpg DSC04448 (640x480).jpg DSC04449 (640x480).jpg DSC04455 (640x480).jpg DSC04455 (640x480).jpg DSC04456 (640x480).jpg DSC04453 (640x480).jpg DSC04454 (640x480).jpg DSC04450 (640x480).jpg DSC04451 (640x480).jpg DSC04340 (640x480).jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome!

3. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I don't think it is more than maybe a couple decades old, but in this case age has nothing to do with value. There's no patina nor other signs of age to help date it. Worse, ALL of the pieces are still with it. Loss of pieces/parts is a good indicator of age of this stuff.

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  4. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I would guess these were brought back from Thailand in the Vietnam war era

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Jay D

Jay D New Member

Glad to be here Sir. springfld.arsenal you are right on the money with the pieces going AWOL. I hold my breath everytime I pick them up because they have a little "
    play" in them. I also would like to commend the group on their professionalism and not belittling new comers/answer seekers. Main reason I'm here.

LIbraryLady, Marko and KingofThings like this.
  6. Jay D

Jay D New Member

I think they were early early Vietnam if not a few years prior when they made it to the US.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Don't be too confused...
    We joke, tease and have fun too! :)

Aquitaine and Jay D like this.
  8. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

So what the heck are these? Desk set? Bookends? Just carvings? Anybody know?

KingofThings likes this.
  9. leeddie

leeddie Well-Known Member

Welcome.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Probably tourist item(desk set) made in India/Thailand.The "cups",horn,candle sticks or whatever are screwed onto the base.Horn was the "plastic" of the 18th century to the present,it can be shaped into utensils,bowls,cups,combs,jewelry,etc.

11. Jay D

Jay D New Member

I think they would be used like a little shrine.The 2 slender side by side vessels are very similar to incense holders used in some religions. The 2 broader containers on either ends of the horns look like vases for flowers. The one short round/rectangular piece used to hold a solid brass "ashtray like" platter. Borrowed long ago by a not so nice house guest. I guess at this point I could live with any explanation as to their intended use. Thank you for your input.

12. Jay D

Jay D New Member

Thanks, this is a pretty cool place.

KingofThings and judy like this.
  13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME, Jay!!! :):)

KingofThings likes this.
  14. Jay D

Jay D New Member

Well Hello Aquitaine, and thank you for me feel welcomed.

15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome, Jay -- I learn a lot from looking at things that people post here. And these are new to me, so thanks for posting!

Jay D likes this.
  16. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Welcome, you will love it here!

Jay D likes this.
  17. Jay D

Jay D New Member

thanks for having me. I
    Thanks for having me. I still have a lot to learn. Just when I thought I knew everything about anything haha. I'm confident someone here has seen them before...or at least something like them. Thanks again

Figtree3 likes this.
  18. Jay D

Jay D New Member

I already do. Most places when someone doesn't have an answer they are not heard from. Everyone here tells me that's a cool thing-a-ma-jig...Welcome to our group. That awesome. Y'all are GREAT!!!

19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

As you're finding out...we are not most places !!!
    :happy::happy::happy:

20. Jay D

Jay D New Member

Just an update for anyone interested. This weekend a friends friend, identified the material used consecutively on my curious little shrine as Rhino horn. Black rhino to be exact. He also mentioned the fed has a few rules for the game of " it's my rhino and I'll sell if I want to ". Short of having a nuclear gamma ray microscope thingy, I doubt I have the schoolin it's takes to even turn one on. So ... anyone have a surefire way of identifying rhino horn that us common folk can try at home and impress our friends.?? I can hear Uncle Mooseknuckle now... "y'all hear Jay done got the horns off a gamma ray thingy and the game warden is looking for him!?" Just when you thought your life was complicated. leeddie AMAZED me with a stunning clue on my Uncle named " drunk leprechauns " oil paintings I posted along with these interesting bearers of more sleepless nights. Thanks for humoring me thus far, and I promise I will tell my Uncle the 43 pictures of the meteorites he dug up that I "posted" for him are drawing mixed reviews from you. Just give them some time to check those detailed black and white photos one last time - I told him.

Figtree3 and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted