Featured Vintage gravy boat?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Claire Holstead, May 27, 2023.

1. Claire Holstead

Claire Holstead New Member

IMG-20230527-WA0005.jpg IMG-20230527-WA0002.jpg IMG-20230527-WA0004.jpg IMG-20230527-WA0005.jpg

Hello thank you for letting me join.

Please can anybody give me info on this very old gravy boat?, the only markings I can see is an 'S' and then opposite another two letters that can't be identified. I suspect it isn't anything really, but thought I'd check it out before it goes in the car boot box!

Thank you for any help.

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

How big is it please?

looks late eighteenth or very early nineteenth to me. It might not be a gravy boat either. Bourdaloue I’m thinking.

4. Claire Holstead

We are now thinking an antique Spode sauce bowl?

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Kind of looks like it says 'No.2', but not a guarantee!​

7. Ownedbybear

I don’t think Spode, wrong body, it looks too coarse, maybe earthenware.

if you’re on Facebook, there’s an excellent group called the Potty British pottery and porcelain group. They often get identified based on things like that number and letter combo.

Figtree3 and Claire Holstead like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Claire.
    By bourdaloue Obb doesn't mean the French pear and almond tart, but something more intimate. So the advise is to wait for a more definitive ID before you use it for gravy.;)

@Ownedbybear , isn't the angular handle a bit awkward for a bourdaloue?

9. Ownedbybear

Good point, it might be a tad painful!

Any Jewelry and Chinoiserie like this.
  10. Claire Holstead

11. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Yes, I see the handle and I think a sauce boat. I also think one of the many Staffordshire factories extant in the mid-1800s. It's a blue willow transfer pattern. No. 2 may be the pattern or perhaps the size as sauce boats came in different sizes.

cxgirl, Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It does look like it could have "No" but I can't tell what is after that!

13. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

I would date this to mid to late 19th c. Typical Staffordshire utilitarian ware. Doubt you will find maker.

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted