Featured Vintage German / Dutch Doll

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Doug Ketcher, Oct 6, 2023.

1. Doug Ketcher

Doug Ketcher Well-Known Member

Good Day, I didn't see a "toy" forum on the site, so I tried to post it here... I recently bought a large doll at a local yard sale in Virginia. The seller didn't have any info about it outside that they thought it came from Europe in mid-1950s. The blond pig-tailed / blue eyed doll is approx 25 inches tall (h) and 7 inches wide (w) and made of plastic. She appears to be wearing a traditional German black velvet dress with a floral apron or sash. Interestingly, she is wearing Dutch wooden shoes. I searched online for a similar doll, I didn't find anything exact, so was hoping some of you smart people might tell me what she us (besides a doll) / where she's from / time period she was made. So far, I have only awoken once in the night with her holding a knife to my throat, but after I child-proofed the drawers, she hasn't been able to get to them since. Any info would be MUCH APPRECIATED!! Thank You!
    Vintage German Composition Doll - 1A - Copy.jpg Vintage Dutch Plastic Doll with Wooden Shoes - 1 - Copy (2).jpeg
    Vintage German Composition Doll - 3.jpg Vintage German Composition Doll - 5 - Copy.jpg

judy, Any Jewelry, NanaB and 2 others like this.
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

judy, Figtree3, Doug Ketcher and 2 others like this.
  3. Doug Ketcher

Thank You, Sabre!!!

judy and sabre123 like this.
  4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I'll add another one.

@judy

judy likes this.
  5. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Is that the alter-ego of the same Judy I tagged? :playful::):playful:

judy, Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

She is wearing what remains of a costume from Volendam, the Netherlands:

Volendam.jpg
    https://volendammerklederdracht.info/vrouwenkleding/

Doll's costumes are rarely correct, for instance the clogs should be black and were usually worn with the work dress, shoes were worn with this more formal dress.
    And the braids are not part of any Dutch tradition. Those braids could lead you to think she is German.

Volendam is a small fishing village near Amsterdam. Volendammers have a specific identity, and many are descendants of the Spanish who occupied the Netherlands in the 16th-17th century.
    This costume is only worn in that village, not in other parts of the Netherlands.

Datewise I think she is early-mid 20th century, but Judy and Bou can probably tell you more.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2023
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Judy can't be here all the time, so she has an alter ego to help out.:playful:

sabre123 and judy like this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Are there any marks or stamps on her back, or on the back of her head just below the wig? Her face looks a bit like a Madame Alexander doll, but a bit different so probably isn't. Anyway, Alexander dolls are almost always marked.

judy likes this.
  9. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Thank you for the tags..........I think AJ's help is more than I can offer.

Perhaps under the wig there might be some initials or name. It's OK to carefully peel back the wig to check.

I'll check a few of my books.............

10. judy

judy Well-Known Member

It might help to see the body of the doll. Also check for any labels on the clothing.

As Fig suggested, she could be MA. Or even Ideal.

Doug Ketcher and Figtree3 like this.
  11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

12. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Never mind!! :oops::oops::facepalm::facepalm::bag::bag::bag::shame::hilarious:

sabre123, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Doug Ketcher

Wow! That's amazing info! Thanks!!! :)

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Doug Ketcher

Thank You for the suggestion as to where to look for any info / marks on the doll! Will check it out and report back! THANKS!!!

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  15. Doug Ketcher

Cool, will check it out. Thanks Judy!!

judy likes this.
  16. judy

judy Well-Known Member

A photo of the doll undressed could help...........

komokwa, Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

My mother, a longtime doll collector, said that this doll looks like the American Character company's Sweet Sue doll, made in 1950s. And we checked one of her reference books for info. The face is strongly similar. Sweet Sue dolls of taller heights (similar sizes to your doll) were often "walker" dolls. The legs have walking action. Not all were, though.

My mother is also an expert seamstress. She thinks this costume is probably homemade, not the doll's original clothing. She also noticed that the wooden shoes look too big for the doll, proportionately to the body. Another reason she thought the costume would not be original to the doll.

So, more paths to research!

Any Jewelry and Doug Ketcher like this.
  18. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I forgot to sign in with my reply......duh!

I will check AC too. I think of them and baby dolls for some reason.

Again, a photo of the doll undressed could tell lots.

Clothing looks home sewn to me too, but checking for a label is easy. Clothes got passed from one doll to another, so it wouldn't be a positive id even if one was found.

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. judy

judy Well-Known Member

She does resemble Sweet Sue by AC. Also in leafing through my books, Arranbee (R & B) also produced similar. Probably many other makers produced that look also.

20. Doug Ketcher

Wow!!! I can only say, Wow!!! Thanks!! LOL!

Figtree3 and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted