Featured Vintage frosted glass necklace, large glass open squares

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, Feb 2, 2024.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thinking 1980s or earlier. Has the AB coating, so late 50s at earliest, double strand. Beads connected by wire links.

I purchased this in the early 1990's at a consignment store, buying it then as a vintage piece.

It's pretty cool looking when worn (esp on black) but it's heavy so honestly I don't think I've worn it in 30 years, so thinking about selling.

The glass is just so unusual, I've never seen big glass open squares like that. Someone suggested maybe the clasp was replaced. It's a bit fancier than most vintage pieces with all that glass, the metal links connecting all of it, etc. The glass work just seems a cut above even some of the mass produced common designers.

Any thoughts on this one? Have you ever run across similar with those big glass squares?

s1.jpg

s2.jpg
    s3.jpg
    s6.jpg
    s9a.jpg
    sbet.jpg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
    bluejay, komokwa, lovewrens and 8 others like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I reckon that’s Italian, or at least, those glass squares are. I’ve seen similar. Screams sixties.

Lucille.b, mirana and bercrystal like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A very fun piece.

Debora

Lucille.b and mirana like this.
  4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thanks Bear and Debora. I wondered too if Italian. It is a fun! That's why I've been unable to sell it for over 30 years even though I never wear it, lol. Of all the costume jewelry necklaces I've purchased over decades, this one just has a bit of extra pizazz in the hand. It's also how the glass is done, it sort of clinks together with a higher quality "ping" if that makes sense. 1960s Italy, a definite possibility.

I don't know that I'll get much on Ebay, I could see it topping out at $20 if I did an auction. Barely worth it!

Maybe ponder for another 30 years?

Any Jewelry, bercrystal and mirana like this.
  5. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Sometimes you just keep things to be able to look at how beautiful they are! I'd display it as you have on the display in pic 1, but maybe on a dark version to really show off the beads, and just call it Art. $20 would be a crime.

Any Jewelry, bercrystal and Lucille.b like this.
  6. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Def has a Mod swinging 60's feel.

Lucille.b likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree. It is a good piece, and it wasn't cheap when it was first sold.

mirana likes this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I’d wear that in a heartbeat and it would absolutely sell for more than twenty here.

mirana likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted