Vintage Double Velvet Black Swing Coat

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Marko, Nov 15, 2023.

1. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I found this thrifting for $15. It's unlined, and I took pics of the labeling. It had a shawl/ choir boy collar, it has bat wing sleeves, and it's a swing coat in a larger size. It was cuffed, I let the cuffs down for my own wear (I have vintage thread and can restore the look.) I was thinking circa 1980s for the coat- what time frame do you see? Is it silk velvet? Does anyone have anymore info on the fabric or the company that made it? I posted a link to Worthpoint that features three yards of this fabric. If anyone has Worthpoint, can you let me know what this sold for? Can I get this dry cleaned? Thank you for your help!
    Lumii_20231115_130205590.jpg
    Lumii_20231115_130256250.jpg
    Lumii_20231115_130235800.jpg
    Lumii_20231115_130209753.jpg
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vtg-black-double-velvet-fabric-1816637046

Bronwen likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I did, but it's not exactly the same fabric.
    And some companies that used to make items did move production overseas....Kirks Folly was one, the older pieces were made in the USA.

Bronwen likes this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I see purple ? Any chance we can see it on ? Id guess 60s,but thats a guess. As an aside,velvet is my favorite fabric.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Swing coats are typically 1950s or retro 1980s Hard to evaluate due to color and change to sleeve length. Does it have shoulder pads? I'm seeing that fabric coming out of India, by way.

Debora

Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 10.59.03 AM.png

6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I can't make out anything in Debora's photo, does it address fabric content?
    I'm inclined to think that it's a cotton velvet, which would have been more likely to be used for outerwear. Silk velvet wouldn't hold the structure, it's much more drapey. Of course, it could be a synthetic... it's hard to tell from a photo.
    Try a burn test.

[​IMG]

7. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I will get hubby to take a pic of it on....It may have been homemade, no labels, only on the fabric. It is a heavy velvet....I am not sure it's cotton velvet. I've had silk velvet garments. No shoulder pads, totally unlined. As far as draping, a swing bat-winged coat is pretty unstructured.

8. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Wowzer, can you give me the link for this? I can't see the picture. Thank you!!!

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Cotton velvet is heavy. I'm not seeing the sheen of a silk velvet in your photos... but you have it in hand so you'd know best, of course. :)

11. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

The company manufacturing this fabric, according to the link, deals with silks. IDK, I wish my Italian tailor was still around- he would know in a heartbeat. I will definitely get more pics up during daylight tomorrow. Thank you for the great link.
    Lumii_20231115_180217869.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted