Vintage Chinese Yuan Bill

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by leeddie, Jan 28, 2017.

1. leeddie

leeddie Well-Known Member

I was going through some old stuff in one of the cabinets and saw this small box I have had for years. I remembered I had stored this old chinese paper money along with an old furniture store $1 pass to be used within some zones in San Diego. For kicks I pulled them out and did a quick google on how much the yuan was worth in US $. I about fell over. Last time I checked it was only a few dollars.. tonight it said over $700 US. I am still in disbelief. Now how the heck to I make sure it is the real deal?

Thanks

Eddie

yuan001.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Try selling it to someone and see if they bite !! :):):)

leeddie likes this.
  3. leeddie

I replied, but for some reason it didn't get posted. Then I got sent over to CoinTalk? Anyway.. I said that your comment had actually made me laugh. Also, that what I meant and to be clearer on my part was my surprise at the yuan being so that the bill was worth that much.
    I read ebay or one of those sites .. had no clue.
    Thanks again.

Eddie

komokwa likes this.
  4. leeddie

I believe the old money is no longer used ... so this bill would only be good to a collector of old money. Not sure, but think this dates to the 1940's period. Oh well, easy come, easy go. In the process I did learn some things about china and it's currency.

5. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The bill was issued by the Chinese nationalist government, before they were replaced by the Chinese communist government and has no exchange value. The portrait is of Chiang Kai Shek, founder of the Nationalists. I am a bit out of touch with paper money prices but I am pretty sure the collector value of this bill is quite small

leeddie likes this.
  6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

You don`t show the reverse with the denomination on, I`m assuming its a ¥10
    Catalog value is around $2.50

leeddie likes this.
  7. afantiques

8. daveydempsey

9. afantiques

In Chinese the numbers read 5000, chair thingy 5, cross with a hat on 1000.

10. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if a 10 yuan = $2.50....
    is a 5000 yuan .....$ 1250.00 ...?

ya, I no it doesn't work like that.......but...:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

12. daveydempsey

leeddie likes this.
  13. leeddie

Thank you. That is what I remembered when I first looked it up a few years back. It was in a lot of military paper I had purchased. Thanks again.

14. leeddie

That is much closer to my initial search. Not sure why I didn't remember it was old and no longer used. Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted