Vintage bracelet with thumbless clasp & Smokey clear stones

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by JenQ, Sep 12, 2024 at 7:49 PM.

1. JenQ

JenQ Member

IMG_0255.jpeg IMG_0254.jpeg IMG_0249.jpeg IMG_0261.jpeg Hello all,
    I acquired this 12k gold filled bracelet with brownish clear stones that look like they are possibly Smokey quartz crystals. I do not see any inclusions. On my gem tester the stones register in the quartz citrine range so I’m not 100% sure if Quartz or citrine. It has a thumbless clasp that I’m thinking could be around the 1930s. I’m having trouble with the style. I’m wondering if this would be considered art deco. It could be older but I’m just not sure. I have seen findings similar to the ones attached to the stones described as art deco. The clasp makes me think it could possibly be older. Any help would be appreciated. It is a stunning bracelet.

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Citrine is quartz.

Any Jewelry, kyratango and JenQ like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks 1960s to my eye. Let's see what others think.

Debora

DragonflyWink and kyratango like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I would say they are smoky quartz pieces that have been tumbled.

The bendable caps used, with glue, to hold the stones bring me back to the crafts we did at camp when it rained all day. But of course the chain we had to use was not any kind of gold. You're correct that this style of spring ring is earlier than the ones we use now; I'm not sure when its reign was, 30s, maybe. I don't think a professional jeweller would have put 6 stones on it; odd numbers work better.

So, I think the dangles are craft work married to a chain ready to hand.

5. JenQ

JenQ Member

Thank you.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  6. JenQ

JenQ Member

Yes I know citrine is quartz. I was just not sure if Smokey quartz or citrine based on my gem tester reading. However I’m leaning towards Smokey quartz based on the color. They are more brown than yellow.

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

All of the quartz stones will test in the quartz/citrine level on the tester. Amethyst,citrine,smoky,clear,prasiolite/green,etc. The vast majority of citrine and prasiolite is heat treated amethyst.

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Thumb rings were primarily used in the 30s, but I've found them on 1950s pieces early and often. The rocks were pretty bits glued into cap settings and strung. The bracelets were popular. I've been known to take damaged ones apart and reuse the pieces.

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Those dangle caps do look sixties, I’ve some pendants like that.

DragonflyWink and Bronwen like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto. The rings of the dangles aren't soldered, which also points to a home job. 1960s for the dangles is very likely.

DragonflyWink and Bronwen like this.
  11. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Heh, when I was a kid in the '60s, my brother gave me a rock tumbler for Christmas (it was on my list) and there were caps exactly like those included...

~Cheryl

komokwa, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I had a friend who did rock tumbling back then, and still own some pendants. Same caps!

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted