Vintage Ashtray. Age? Copper? Bronze?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Mill Cove Treasures, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

The decoration looks like copper, it is heavy and weighs 9 grams. 4" wide. Dumb question - what was the purpose of the "cage"? Just decorative? Wouldn't the cigarette roll right off the top or, go out if placed inside one of the holes?

I have found other things made by this company but the dates are all over the place. I did find this from the link below.
    • 1931: The L. E. Mason Company makes bronze, silver, and gold castings.
    http://www.bostonhistorycollaborative.com/BostonFamilyHistory/neighborhoods/neigh_hyde.html

Do you think this is from the 30's, 40's or later? Thank you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

It isnt an ashtray, it is a flower frog

3. Mill Cove Treasures

Thank you. So this went inside another vase/bowl as a frog? It's to short to be used just as is and seems to decorative to hide in a bowl. The previous owner definitely used it as an ashtray.

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

If a frog, it is more like a rose bowl with a frog meant to be used as is. There is some precedence for this but I am not entirely convinced. If an ashtray, it might just be for knocking ash into and part of a more elaborate smoking tray set-up. I could see how this would be particularly good for use with a cigar.

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Found this set in the same pattern but it doesn't include your piece.

[​IMG]

6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Could it be a stamp sponge holder. Holds a slightly damp sponge, stroke the top with the stamp and stick it on. The sponge would be just big enough to press against the wire grille.

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG]

so, it's possible....

8. Mill Cove Treasures

Thanks for posting that set Brad. The square piece on the top left is definitely and ash tray.

AF - That could be a possibility.

Komokwa, The top could definitely be used as a frog like the picture you posted but the base is so shallow, approximately 1" tall, I don't see how the flowers would stand. Even if floral foam was used, it would be a very small, dry bouquet.

9. desperate_fun

10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I think it is a "marriage". The bottom being a different metal than the top grille.
    greg

quirkygirl likes this.
  11. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I tend to agree that it is not a frog. Somewhere in the distance past, 1940s, I have a fleeting memory of a cigar something like this. The wire was used to flick/rub off the ashes. The cigar would rest in the holes. I think, certainly not sure, this type of ashtray may have set in the middle of something bigger like a cigar stand. The middle of the stand had an opening that this type of ashtray fitted. I haven't had any luck finding the same. I did see a pic of a slightly similar one with the wire top, but the fool thing is no longer up on line or needed to search through a trillion pages to find it. Following is a link to pics of it. Sorry the link is huge, but that is the link google came up with when I did a reverse app image search on my iPad. It might have been called a "Vintage 1938 NIBCO Copper Ashtray."

https://www.google.com/search?tbs=s...eerG-ZuaFsFrl1FSwNDhLOsusyJuKyoXGUTowR7B48r7Y

--- Susan

image.jpeg

12. Ladybranch

13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Susan,
    Your photos have flat screens. I think the marriage one is a flower frog which was placed on something else.
    greg

cxgirl likes this.
  14. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

cxgirl likes this.
  15. desperate_fun

The flat/domed top is why I'm on the fence right now. It sure does look like these ashtrays, but........

16. quirkygirl

I wonder if the original owner wanted one of those wire topped ashtrays and just found that a flower frog happened to fit on an ashtray they already owned? Or maybe they had one and the wire broke ... so they found that a frog would work too?
    Just brainstorming here ... hope you don't mind :)

17. Ladybranch

Your right, Greg. The Op's is domed. The base/dish might have been an open ashtray as part of a L.E. Mason's deskset. Later someone added a wire-top to use it as a cigar ashtray with the deskset. The felt bottom rules out the contraption being used as a frog for me.

--- Susan

18. Ladybranch

Quirky, you & I had the same thought!

--- Susan

19. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

It's a flower arranging grid, some shallow flower bowls came with them, or they could be purchased separately in a wide variety of sizes - from what I can see, this looks like a pretty good fit, probably original. Not at home right now, but should have some catalog images in my files, from what I recall, the date ranges were from the early to mid 20th century...

~Cheryl

20. quirkygirl

Yes, and Greg too ... don't forget Greg! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted