Vintage ‘Elephant’ figurine—-a political keepsake?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by D. Bartlett, Dec 3, 2022.

1. D. Bartlett

D. Bartlett New Member

B4B5A1E2-2A69-478E-B085-B0E5B3AA6384.jpeg View attachment 415045 View attachment 415045 This charming figurine of an elephant appears to be made of Bakelite, and bears an American flag comprised of faux jewels draped over its back and a headdress of jewels bedecking it’s forehead. It measure approx. 2” from intricately carved tusk to tail, stands approx. 1” tall, and is approx. 1/2” wide.

A curious piece of early-20th Century Americana—-perhaps related to a political convention? Any help will be welcome. View attachment 415045 View attachment 415046 View attachment 415046 View attachment 415046

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Looks like a charm for a bracelet.

D. Bartlett and Boland like this.
  3. D. Bartlett

D. Bartlett New Member

DF9099B4-83FF-42C9-9805-5CB1ACF0734F.jpeg A3CB8243-E9F9-4D1D-9F60-72ECEB582588.jpeg 5612B7E5-5FD7-432F-A9C6-72612358CC64.jpeg DF9099B4-83FF-42C9-9805-5CB1ACF0734F.jpeg

4. D. Bartlett

D. Bartlett New Member

Yes, it does! Perhaps even a keychain?

stracci likes this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Or similar. I'd throw a cord on him and wear him as a pendant. He's missing his donkey friend though.

D. Bartlett likes this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I'm thinking watch fob. On the large size for a bracelet charm.

D. Bartlett likes this.
  7. D. Bartlett

D. Bartlett New Member

You may be on to something there. While I can’t attest to or deny any other poster’s worthy suggestions, this little elephant was found inside a velvet sack inside a safety deposit box. While not together with it, also in the box were a gentleman’s early-20th Century gold watch and chain (along with many other small/ish objet d’art.

Adding further to the mystery was why it was in a safety deposit box in the first place, as many seemingly far more valuable items were on display in the man’s home. This either had enormous sentimental value or intrinsic value—-yet the man, my late uncle, never mentioned it (though he had broached the topic of the gold watch and many other items, including a coin collection, also in safety deposit).

Curiouser and curiouser.

kentworld and Bronwen like this.
  8. evelyb30

I'd say emotional - maybe a gift from someone he loved.

D. Bartlett and Bronwen like this.
  9. Bronwen

If he had a watch & chain, he might have had a fob. Could the elephant have belonged to his father, uncle, etc.? As has already been suggested, sentimental more than intrinsic value?

10. Bronwen

Is this solid or hollow? Could we get a clear closeup of the bottom of the feet?

11. D. Bartlett

D. Bartlett New Member

Indeed, the current thinking among the cognoscenti familia is that the elephant belonged to my late uncle’s father, my paternal grandfather.

Being somewhat socially and politically connected in his time in his native city and state, perhaps my grandfather received our little elephant as a memento for his participation at a convention or other such gathering. Alas, we’ll likely never know.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  12. D. Bartlett

D. Bartlett New Member

I’m so sorry, but I’m not able to furnish such a photo at the present time. But I am happy to be able to make good on at least part of your request—-the piece is solid.

And I’m told it is made of bakelite. Though on the subject of what material, exactly, was used in the elephant's creation, there is more than a modicum of debate.

13. D. Bartlett

D. Bartlett New Member

And you could write a book on that. Suffice it to say, my uncle lived a long, full life. If this item were indeed such a token of affection, it is nice to imagine the scenarios.

Though my uncle would be grateful, I’m sure, if I DON’T write that book!

14. evelyb30

Or secretly chortling if Uncle got around.

BTW - unless this was kept away from air for a looooong time it's unlikely to be bakelite. White bakelite turns yellow with age. Carved lucite possibly?

15. D. Bartlett

D. Bartlett New Member

Thank you. That’s an interesting possibility, while bearing in mind that this item was kept in a velvet bag in a safety deposit box, free of open air, for who knows how long.

In support of your theory, however, it’s entirely possible that the elephant was carved out of lucite. Presuming, of course, that lucite was around at the time of the elephant’s creation---and on that, we still haven’t a definitive answer.

But lucite is a distinct possibility. Thanks for the suggestion.

16. evelyb30

It was in use during WWII. Celluloid is another possibility.

17. D. Bartlett

D. Bartlett New Member

Worthy suggestions, especially as the elephant is fairly lightweight. I can only venture an approximate guess, but I'd say that the elephant's weight equals that of holding two quarters in the palm of your hand.

Draft saved Draft deleted