Villeroy & Boch oversized Moi & Toi cups & saucers.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bercrystal, Sep 29, 2018.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I have these 2 cup & saucer sets by Villeroy & Boch. From my very limited high school French I think Moi is me or mine, but what does Toi mean? :confused::confused:

The cups are 4 1/4" across & 2 1/2" to the side. The saucers are 6 1/2" across.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!!! :kiss::kiss::kiss:

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Basically they say Me & You, with 'you' in the familiar form used with family & friends. To be Yours & Mine they would have to be La Mienne & La Tienne.

komokwa, anundverkaufen, judy and 3 others like this.
  4. bercrystal

Thank you Susan & Bronwen!! :happy::happy::happy:

I thought it might be that when I got them, but a Google search was no help.

Of course it might always have been operator error. ;):p:p:rolleyes::rolleyes::bag::bag::oops: :D:D

judy, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And are they "antique" and "Art Deco?"

Debora

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  7. i need help

:hilarious:

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. bercrystal

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  9. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

The creamer says Nous Deux=we two. Cute.

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

not antique. Made in Germany and underneath simply Saar is post WWII. Saarland was under French surveillance till 1957 when they were made part of West Germany after a people's vote 1956.
    not to be mixed up with the mark Saar Basin (Territoire du Bassin de la Sarre, 1920 - 1935) after the first WW.

judy and Bronwen like this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'm sure I'm not the only one to have noticed that everything's "antique" and -- irrespective of its design -- either "Victorian," "art deco" or "art nouveau." It's not as if sellers have to be really knowledgable these days or have a library of reference books. A few minutes on the internet should be enough to provide at least a basic understanding of appropriate terminology and examples. Crazy-making.

Debora

12. bercrystal

I really think the only research most folks do now is to look on eBay or do a Google search. They then mimic what others have written.

I did search the mark & found that there was no date available for this mark.

i need help likes this.
  13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

there may be no date available in your language perhaps ? sometimes it helps when you change the language in google or directly use strange languages like French ? or German ? :)

14. bercrystal

I was not terribly concerned about the date. I would never call these cups antique & certainly not Art Deco or Art Nouveau. The most I will call them is vintage.

i need help likes this.
  15. i need help

I fully agree, on this Forum we have found countless mis attributions and it’s obvious listing information is copied. This makes no sense, because people might have a More valuable item and are too lazy to thoroughly research it.

16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Don't get me started. I had a howling row with a muppet on a Facebook page who INSISTED that Britain had Mission furniture. Said muppet then said the term meant a style and had nothing to do with missions in any religious sense. Arg.

17. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

He meant Missionary and forgot the Position...:yawn:

Ownedbybear, Bakersgma and bercrystal like this.
  18. i need help

19. bercrystal

i need help likes this.
  20. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

SBSVC and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted