Featured Villeroy & Boch Fasan dating

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Ken Yap, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Ken Yap

Ken Yap Active Member

Hello everyone. My friend was given this lovely dinner service and I have been helping him date it, unfortunately without much success. From trawling the net, I surmise 1900 to 1945, although I was hoping for a more precise date. Am I wrong or am I wrong? Can anyone please help? Sincere thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
    Ken Yap.
    https://bbddduck.wixsite.com/website
    https://www.facebook.com/ken.yap.1069020/

Attached Files:

2. Neece

Neece Active Member

It's strange because when you find that pattern online it has a similar but different mark (FASAN underneath the mark) like this one
    This one you can't see a mark but if you look at the text under the expired listing it says 1859
    Here is one with your mark that dates it at late 1800's

There may be more that would help you zoom in better on a consistent date. I did this search "Villeroy & Boch Fasan Mettlach Flow Blue Plate"

Ken Yap likes this.
  3. Neece

Neece Active Member

I'm back (I really need to stop procrastinating on my own work lol) ... here is one more that says late 19th century

Ken Yap likes this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

5. Ken Yap

Ken Yap Active Member

Thank you so much. I had seen some of these sites before but remain a bit confused as to whether it is the 1847-1909 or 1920-1925 period. I tend to go for the former, say 1908? It would help if my friend could get dates of birth, marriage and death from the family who gave it to him, but they are reticent to give out the information. And thus so much history is lost.

Attached Files:

6. Ken Yap

Ken Yap Active Member

This is another V&B design. The eBay seller dated it to 1945-1956, which makes it even more confusing. I feel this is earlier, again pre-1910.

Attached Files:

7. Neece

Neece Active Member

@Ken Yap but wouldn't your friends pre-date 1887 since it doesn't say "Made in Germany"?

EDIT: or was it that things marked with it were definitely after 1887, but not definitive for things marked without country of origin(something made but not exported)??? Maybe someone could clear this up for me.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
    Ken Yap likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

"Germany" did not exist as a cohesive country before then Neece. What is now Germany was a collection of smaller principalities.

Ken Yap likes this.
  9. Neece

Neece Active Member

Yes, 1871 but the lack of a country of origin on the plate in question (vs. the plate indicating 1945-1956 in Ken's later post), for a company that exported, (since England required it in 1887) would generally mark it, correct? Ken's plate would likely be prior to 1887 as V & B started marking the country of origin after that, correct? ...was what I was saying .... but I only had one cup of coffee today so ...

Ken Yap likes this.
  10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That is a question for some from the UK. I don't live there. ;)

Ken Yap likes this.
  11. Ken Yap

Ken Yap Active Member

:nailbiting::wacky:I'm afraid I'm non the wiser either, but both the Fasan and Phoenix examples look more 20th. century to me than 19th. In the case of my friend's set (Fasan), his cousin who gave the set to him was born in the 1940s and he remembers the set being in the family for as long as he's been around.

I think I'll write to the eBay seller about the Phoenix plates.

I haven't even had a cup of coffee, let alone dessert :)

Attached Files:

12. Ken Yap

Ken Yap Active Member

Oh drat, the eBay seller does not accept enquiries.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

then don't accept his description..........;):stop:

Ken Yap likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted