Viking Anglo Saxon Tools ?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Brubaker50, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Brubaker50

Brubaker50 Well-Known Member

As stated above have these punch tools from a Viking Anglo Saxon hoard of stuff , I think two could be iron other bronze but don’t know uneducated amateur opinion.Any help always appreciated in these boards thank you. ED803414-6925-4880-977D-432A0841FCF8.jpeg

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The 2 on top are metal stamping design tools,the one under in front would punch concave dots. The other two are not clear as to purpose.

3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

If you have them in your possession, see if a magnet is attracted to them. Would tell if they are iron based. Most bronze is non-magnetic, but some bronze alloys are.

Fid likes this.
  4. Brubaker50

Will try the magnet on them thank you for looking largest one is 79 mm in length . A1C86548-F762-45A9-8FD3-D6B7B37B9D58.jpeg

5. Brubaker50

Best I can do with my iPad .

6. Brubaker50

Just tried the magnet on them nothing, been having a look around to find any similar tools but no luck .These were kept away for the last 30 years and come with ancient Pins and other Viking Anglo Saxon artifacts that were stored with them.

sabre123 likes this.
  7. Brubaker50

I would imagine they’re rare and mostly found in museums as I have seen all the artifacts that they were used on to make patterns in the metal and wood etc but nothing about the tools that helped to create them.

8. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Maybe do a google search for "ask an archaeologist" and try that avenue. Be curious as to what they'd have to say.

9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Basically the same type of tools as used today,a little video on files and the whole series is interesting.

10. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

I have a friend that belongs to a "ANTIQUE TOOL DETECTIVE" club...I forwarded the pic to let him take a look.

11. Brubaker50

Ok thank you for all your replies working my way through a large collection , keep stopping to admire the skill and works of art like these tools.