Vietnamese Block Print

Discussion in 'Art' started by NewEngland, Oct 12, 2020.

1. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

I found this beautiful little signed block print - it was framed in a very rustic wooden frame with a piece of cardboard backing that advertises a Saigon cigarette factory. Also as backing, a piece of Vietnamese funny pages which has a black charcoal-like finish on the back of it. Unfortunately, I think some of the yucky black charcoal dust got onto the print so it has some dark areas. I am afraid to try to remove them since the paper it is printed on is so thin and delicate. My questions: How old is it? Can anyone read the signature? Her clothing and hair style look 1930s? Thanks! vietnameseprint.JPG vietnameseprinta.JPG vietnamcartoon.JPG vietnamcartoonblackbacking.JPG vietnamprintcardboardbacking.JPG

Any Jewelry, Van_Poperin and aaroncab like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Very nice piece. It could be early I suppose, but stylistically I think it is probably contemporary with the backing rather than being from the 1930's as you suggest. That is not a bad thing!

BTW, I have several folios of Vietnamese woodblock prints in my collection all are post-Vietnam war era and there are articles on Vietnamese wood-block artists in old copies of Arts of Asia.

NewEngland likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted