Featured Vide Greniers have been full of over priced tat, not this week

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by RachelW, May 5, 2024.

1. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

The season has been dissappointing so far to say the least, coming home with one murano necklace one week and a silver and (small) moonstone ring another, but that's been it. This year its full of the dealers, more so than other years, though I seem to remember they always were ready to come out in early spring when the normal people aren't. Anyway, I found a stall that had the kind of vide grenier prices we used to get years ago before old got expensive. I paid a whopping 50c each for these three.

IMG_20240505_160141.jpg

I picked up the little venetian (?) boy because I thought it was sweet, vintage costume with a lot of paint coming off, but I actually prefer it that way.

IMG_20240505_160155.jpg

This was the first thing I picked up at the stall, nacre and probably silver. Unmarked. Judging by the pin length and hinge...circa 3rd Quarter 19th?

IMG_20240505_160209.jpg

@Any Jewelry How to Be a Jewelry Dectective led to this purchase! I tucked away the bit about Duette brooches for future reference and it paid off today. It's got all its stones intact and undamaged (minus a couple discolored), the pin is missing but the rest of the hardware is there so no biggie to replace it.

I'm curious about this though: Most duettes online have the clips already attached, while mine does not. My guess is that the clips were separate and slid into place, and someone's left them in a drawer sometime in the last 100 years. But its an unusual design..
    IMG_20240505_160223.jpg
    IMG_20240505_160243.jpg IMG_20240505_160318.jpg

Makes me feel a bit better! Vide greniers have been great for porcelain and kitchenware for me (got an enamel casserole pot for 5 euros in great condition the other week, it was his grandmothers), but jewelry has been tiny bits of silver for 10 euros or retro costume for 15 :rage:

TYFL!​

Last edited: May 5, 2024
  2. RachelW

Just looked up the patent number, it matches Crown Trifari...? According to google patents it was first registered 1936, but not sure if thats in the us or not.

While others have the same patent, its for a disassembling brooch, so they all have the normal attached clips not separate ones...

Edit: The actual patent illistration is not for mine, its the same number but the clips are different.
    Screenshot 2024-05-05 171121.jpg

Last edited: May 5, 2024
    Figtree3, Marote, komokwa and 7 others like this.
  3. RachelW

Just gonna post this here since it's not much. Ascension Day vide grenier gave me this for one euro, missing a banana. I've seen several of these listed with different keywords, lucite, fruit salad, plastic, charm necklace, and tutti frutti, not sure which one to go with for my listing? The colours are giving me 60s vibes?

imresizer-1715329938645.jpg

Also this is for me, but this style and construction is quickly becoming a favorite with me! 50 cents, pearls, garnets, and green something, probably on silver. It's hardly bigger than my thumbnail but it's adorable. 1870/80s?
    imresizer-1715330219707.jpg imresizer-1715330258856.jpg

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Probably peridot. It is very sweet.:happy:
    I wonder if it once had a dangle in the centre. Do you see any traces of there having been a loop?

Figtree3 and RachelW like this.
  5. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I would wear the round mother of pearl pin just above the gondolier pin The round pin reminds me of the moon in thet Cher film. Moonstruck.

RachelW and lovewrens like this.
  6. RachelW

I forgot peridot existed haha, thanks! Off the top of my head no I don't think there's a loop at the bottom, but me and my mother were wondering if this was just one piece in a more complex necklace like a lavaliere? The loop at the top is too small for any but the thinnest of chains.

To be honest I've not seen the film and misread your message as a reference to a brooch cher wears in the film :hilarious: I was disheartened to not be able to find it online. But yes it does look like the moon! Thats some cool imagery.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Maybe no loop at the bottom. Maybe the bow was the piece at the bottom, dangling off of a piece of chain. Now...run a piece of cord through it and instant choker?

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I won't tell peridot.:muted::playful:
    I didn't mean a loop, but maybe a rough bit where a loop was broken off?

Draft saved Draft deleted