Victorian Style Sofa

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by eminart, Jul 17, 2023.

1. eminart

eminart New Member

My wife and I bought an older home a couple of years ago and have been slowly adding furnishings that we like. We came across a victorian "style" sofa at an antique store a couple days ago and bought it to put in a nook area of our master bedroom.

We just like it for what it is, but I'm curious about its age. The value isn't really a concern. Like I said, we just like the piece.

Anyway, I know this style was reproduced at least into the 1970's and probably later. But, I'm guessing this one is at least older than that because the seat filling is horsehair. Underneath, someone has stapled a new covering over the old one, although I can still see the edges of the original. I would imagine any tags or marking would be underneath there. But, I was just curious if there's a way to get a rough estimate of age based on the horsehair/springs, or anything else?

Attached Files:

cxgirl likes this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

At first glance, it seems better/older than the reproductions in the 70s and later. Will need more pics to evaluate further.

cxgirl and johnnycb09 like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

4. eminart

eminart New Member

Ok, thanks. I'll add some more photos tonight. Any particular things I should focus on photographing?

cxgirl likes this.
  5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Close ups of the carving, any joints you can see, especially on the under side :)

eminart likes this.
  6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

This sofa design has been heavily reproduced. Here’s hoping you got an original.

Any Jewelry and eminart like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Key word = medallion back. Very pleasing lines. Fingers crossed it's period.

Debora

eminart and johnnycb09 like this.
  8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Im going to vote original. Its got wear in all the places youd expect. Maybe 1890 or so. Very pretty couch .Give the upholstery a good cleaning and you might be surprised how it perks up. Then you wont have to reupholster,wich is hideously expensive. Congrats on the new house. :)

eminart likes this.
  9. eminart

eminart New Member

Here's a few photos. Not sure if they'll tell you guys much. Like I said, we bought it because we liked it, and the price was good, even if it's a later reproduction. What made me start wondering about the age is the fact it's filled with horsehair. I know that doesn't necessarily make it an original victorian piece, but it probably makes it older than any sofa I've ever owned. LOL.

Attached Files:

10. eminart

eminart New Member

More photos

Attached Files:

11. eminart

eminart New Member

And more

Attached Files:

12. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Hmmm.With the new pics I now think later reproduction. Wait for others,Im often wrong.

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't see pics...just links,,

Houseful likes this.
  14. eminart

eminart New Member

If only there were some way to see them.

15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Have to edit slightly to make them load........I don't know WHY this is, but, PHEW........done! I think it's probably old....been reupholstered, but look closely at some of the finish (especially where OP pulled back the fabric), you can see age crackling.....I think it's been well taken care of........(but I could also be wrong!)

Small 20230717_160951-A.jpg

Small 20230717_160916B.jpg

Small 20230717_160844-C.jpg

Small 20230717_160804-D.jpg

Small 20230717_160521-E.jpg

Small 20230717_160451-F.jpg

Small 20230717_160350-G.jpg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2023
    cxgirl, johnnycb09 and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

With the style of carving, and the fact that the recesses look 'antiqued', my guess is second half of the 20th century. It has some age, but not antique.

Wonderful sofa though, and the colour of the upholstery goes perfectly with it.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  17. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

The horsehair is what throws me off. Manufacturers began phasing that out in the 1950s, so horsehair for a 1980s reproduction seems unlikely. Otherwise, it fits easily into the 1970s-90s period.

18. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

cxgirl, Aquitaine and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the staples do not speak to an older mfg !

Any Jewelry likes this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I thought those were stitches at first.:banghead: But you're right, they're staples.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted