Featured Victorian Ornately Carved Marble Top Console

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Lilly_Ann, May 12, 2021.

1. Lilly_Ann

Lilly_Ann Member

Hi,

Full disclosure. I have bought this item but do not have it in my possession yet. The pictures are not great. They were worse in the listing and i did my best to get as much detail from them as possible and this was it, but it still makes my heart flutter - massively. This was simply listed as "Antique entryway table". Dimension listed are L53" H34.5". I want to look up more about similar pieces while i wait to get it (this weekend) but im not sure what i should call the style in my search. Could you take a look and help me pin down the style? Also if you have any tips on what i should look for when i pick it up to authenticate age and wood I would be so grateful. re1w30440-myFile-1619636989286.jpeg re2w30440-myFile-1619636989608.jpeg

judy, KSW, LauraGarnet02 and 2 others like this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I see why you are so excited. I hope you find some good answers!

judy, KSW and Lilly_Ann like this.
  3. Lilly_Ann

Lilly_Ann Member

Every other time I've been this excited the item has been astronomically out of my price range :playful:. Thank you!

judy, KSW and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

So it was your lucky day. Looking forward to the detailed pics

judy, KSW and Lilly_Ann like this.
  5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I'd call it a Rococo Revival console table, ca. 1860. Probably rosewood or walnut, it's hard to tell from the photo. Likely made in New Orleans or the northeastern U.S.

If it's genuine, it's probably worth over $2K. Do you mind saying about how much you paid for it?

Not to be too sobering, but please make sure this is not a recent (less than 50 years old) SE Asian reproduction. I've seen some very convincing ones that you could not tell apart from originals just looking at the photos. Look at the marble underneath for age marks. There should probably be holes in the bottom of the legs for casters. Look at the wood for wear. It should not look too "clean."

Assuming this is "real," then congratulations! Even in the Brown Furniture Depression, this is a very nice - and valuable - piece!

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Looks like it's about to scuttle away.

7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

:D

8. Lilly_Ann

Lilly_Ann Member

Thats part of what I loved about it!

9. Lilly_Ann

Lilly_Ann Member

I got it from an online auction (maxsold) that is local/pick up only. It was seller managed and a few things were labeled as antiques that I'm not entirely convinced on, especially the table with the metal rail underneath. I don't think they have to verify so its a gamble not being able to see a piece in person, but I've gotten a few nice pieces this way. For under $70 after auction fee's and tax it was absolutely worth the gamble for me. The photos and descriptions were all lacking so i think this was a clear out by a relative or someone who wasn't the original owner. I also won the marble topped side tables and mirror. Here is the gallery if you want to take a look. https://maxsold.maxsold.com/auction...nline-auction-goshen-street-30440/bidgallery/

I'm extremely excited for pick up on Saturday to see it in person! Brown furniture is my Jam, so I'm trying to take advantage of the depression while I can.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    Ghopper1924 likes this.
  10. Lilly_Ann

Lilly_Ann Member

The thing that was throwing me off is it seems the feet are either serpents or dragons heads with the legs being the bodies. It reminded me of the Victorian period Chinoiserie style pieces, but the shape seems french? (Or i have no idea what I'm talking about).

11. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

There was lots of variation in Victorian furniture, so I wouldn't worry about that. More importantly, I'd take the marble off and turn it over to look for wear and holes in the bottom of the feet where wheels would have been. The more I look at this the more I think it's a reproduction, but you didn't pay much for it, so no worries.

Lilly_Ann likes this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

Let's hope it has old holes.

Lilly_Ann likes this.
  13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I don't have an idea what I'm talking about either...:)
    https://www.christies.com/en/lot/lot-5412726

Italian copy readily available in many deco shops. wood too dark and cheap marble top.
    sometimes also sold as Louis XV with added mid-strut.

Lilly_Ann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted