Featured Victorian (or later) Costume Bangles ?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by bosko69, Mar 2, 2023.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Here's a couple pieces I found yesterday at the Church Thrift-$3 each,so even a dope like me took a gamble.No marks that I can seen anywhere.Little one looks gold plated/washed-seems to have had black in the engraved/stamped areas.
    The bigger Baroque one,again unmarked is prob modern ? But flamboyantly strange enough for me to buy

Gld1.jpg Gld3.jpg Gld2.jpg Gld4.jpg Silv0.jpg Silv1.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

First one has a bit of an Aesthetic Period look to the engraving.

mirana, pearlsnblume, KSW and 2 others like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

My thinking too, very aesthetic. Might be period. I’d agree the white metal one is later, could be seventies.

KSW and kyratango like this.
  4. bosko69

I'm guessing the Aesthetic was enameled (but for a cheap bangle ?).70's sounds good for the later one,but i liked the over the top bigness of it.

KSW and kyratango like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The first one I'd agree on. Probably gold-filled. The second one I'd check inside, making sure to open the clasp so you can see all surfaces and the tongue of the clasp. I've seen something almost identical more than once, signed Whiting & Davis.

mirana and KSW like this.
  6. bosko69

Evely-Thanks for the tip-I've heard of Whiting & Davis on the Forum before.My Lady got a kick out of the Victorian one & it fit.
    PS-Anyway I could do a faux (re) enameling of the gold bauble ?

kyratango and KSW like this.
  7. evelyb30

Not sure. @kyratango probably could but I'd just make a hash of it. The original was baked on, probably, and black paint wouldn't work.

kyratango likes this.
  8. bosko69

Kyra's definitely the guru on this problem.

kyratango and pearlsnblume like this.
  9. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

The price was definitely right for these. I like them both. First one was Taille d'Épargne. It does look filled. You can mimic enameling with black nail polish, wiping the surface to pull it off the upper layer. I wouldn't do it with a solid gold piece personally, but maybe with a filled.

The silver bracelet looks imposing and very fun.

Any Jewelry, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  10. bosko69

For $6 even a know-nothing like me had to go for it.Thank you so much for the nail polish trick,and for GF it's a great practice piece.
    Excellent reference on the Taille d'Epargne site-'American taille d’épargne was employed on burnished or bloomed gold to highlight engraving'.
    Was 'bloomed gold' referring to 'rose gold' or matte finish gold ?

11. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

It looks sort of velvety matte I think. Rose gold has more copper.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Bloomed gold is depletion gilding,many people use it to take the copper in sterling off a piece and leave the pure silver which does not tarnish.

kyratango and mirana like this.
  13. bosko69

Thank you both for the education.

kyratango likes this.
  14. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Both are nice! Good catch;)
    Tricky to mend the taille d’epargne here with nail polish as the recesses aren’t very deep and the varnish will come out as soon as you’ll wipe it... I’d use black acrylic paint applied with a toothpick only in the resses

Any Jewelry, mirana and wlwhittier like this.
  15. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

In your experience, is the natural gloss in the paint enough or does it need a gloss medium mixed in? I was concerned it might be a little too matte but it's small so may not be noticible?

kyratango likes this.
  16. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Too small to be noticed IMO, the medium to use needs to be rather fluid and tenacious once dry.

mirana likes this.
  17. evelyb30

Heat-set glass paint might be even better if you can find some. It sticks to metal too and doesn't require high heat to set it.

18. bosko69

Back in the early 60's my Mom had a hobby enameling kit.You'd take a disc of kit-supplied copper,paint designs on it's surface,and then bake it in the Kitchen oven !
    When weren't overly concerned with toxic gases in our homes back then-'Hey Johnny,will you hand me those asbestos ovens mitts sweetie-cupcakes are ready !'.

19. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Lolll well there are enamel paints that are for metal so those might be an option too.

Draft saved Draft deleted