Victorian???? milk glass blue rimmed bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Miscstuff, May 9, 2017.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Couldn't resist buying this bowl at a local auction recently. It was listed as a "Victorian Milk Glass Bowl" but it looks too good to me. I could be wrong. It is pressed glass with two faint (mold?) joint lines underneath and the clear blue glass has a few small bubbles in it. Size is 29.5cm round and 8.8cm high at 1.2Kg weight. No makers marks etc. Any ideas - Victorian, Edwardian, Art Deco, Czech, Chinese knockoff????
    Cheers
    Stephen
    PICT0001small.jpg PICT0002small.jpg PICT0003small.jpg PICT0004small.jpg

Joshua Brown likes this.
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Miscstuff......looks to be Fenton Aqua Crest, but wait for confirmation.

I'd have bought it......very pretty.....nice pictures too!:cat:

3. In For the old guy

In For the old guy Active Member

Judy gave you the maker and correct design name. Yours was made in the 1940s. In the USA. Tons of references on line.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    judy and *crs* like this.
  4. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

I would start double/triple checking that auctioneers descriptions.

Aquitaine, judy, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I just hope the valuation went the right way. Fenton used to be worth money here but the bottom's dropped out of late.

judy likes this.
  6. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

What George said. This should be fairly recognizable as Fenton, from their Crest line. Some auctioneers have a bad habit of giving questionable ID's.

komokwa and judy like this.
  7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I never take an auctioneers word on identifications even on some catalogued auctions. They just can't know everything about everything and glass and pottery especially seems to confound most of our local folks.
    Don

komokwa likes this.
  8. evelyb30

They get the signed pottery right, most likely, or at least the manufacturer. How any professional could mistake Fenton for Victorian glass of course...dunno.

komokwa likes this.
  9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I agree with Judy's answer about Fenton's Aqua Crest. It was made between 1941/42 and again in 1948/53. It is very pretty but no where near Victorian as claimed.
    greg

komokwa likes this.
  10. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Thanks for the help everyone. I think it might just be possible to forgive the auction house as there doesn't seem to be any Aqua glass in Australia!! None on eBay(Australia) for sale or sold listings or Gumtree(Australia). There are quite a few smaller 6" versions on eBay(USA) but 11.5" bowls seem to be quite rare-ish. For the record I paid the record sum of AU$40.77 which is about US$29.95 for it which I suspect is about half the normal price for a large bowl. Can anyone tell me the correct model number for it or point me to the primary Fenton shapes reference site.
    Cheers
    Stephen

11. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

12. evelyb30

Just remember to cut Replacements prices in half for a reasonable value.

13. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Maybe even cut Replacements by 2/3 these days. They have some crazy high prices.

14. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Better yet check the solds on ebay.

Draft saved Draft deleted