Victorian Knock Down Armoire

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Bev aka thelmasstuff, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

No picture, yet, but my son picked one up and he was going to sell for $75. Looking at the listings, it seems they're worth a bit more. Anyone know if these are selling or is it just desire on the part of listers? I'll get a photo on later today.

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks like mostly wishful thinking on those ebay listings. Did see where some sold in the $300-500.00 range which is much more in line with my experience with these. I do think $75.00 is too low for even a modest one.

3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

He pulled it and we're going to put it out at the yard sale on Sat. It's all in pieces now, so it doesn't help you see the full thing.

4. Bev aka thelmasstuff

It turns out we are too busy to have a yard sale on Sat. Maybe next week. Meanwhile, I have a two car storage unit!

5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Had one turned out to be an Eastlake even though it was very primitive looking. It finally sold for $285 on the free to advertise for pickup only. I just needed it gone at the time. Furniture values are still quite depressed in deep south so try for more. You can always come down in price.

6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I have never heard of a knock down armoire. Was this a 19th C IKEA for the covered wagon trade?

7. 6rivets

6rivets Active Member

Not really. They were made in pieces - base, body, and [arrgh, too early to think of the right words] decorative top because you couldn't get them through the door otherwise, and they were hellaheavy.

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  8. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The word armoire seems to mean anything from a wardrobe through a display cabinet to a dresser, but construction where appropriate in sections, such as with a dresser base and plate rack (and possibly even a cornice) strikes me as too common a construction to merit a special term. Maybe small doors and narrow stairs are more standard here.

9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Af,
    I bought one in Amsterdam. If you think your or my hallways are narrow, the Dutch have us beat. My favorite was from England 18th century linen press that knocked down into a dozen pieces. It was 9 ft high and 6 ft wide and 2ft deep.
    I almost cried when I had to sell it. Moved into a 8 ft apartment.
    greg

antidiem likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted