Featured Victorian Hot Chocolate Set With Three Different Maker's Marks (Austrian/British)

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Barn Owl, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I recently purchased this Victorian bone china cocoa set. I was able to narrow the M. Z. Austria mark down to 1884-1904, but I've had trouble with the other marks. The M.Z. Austria mark is on the teacups, while the Bisto mark is on the saucers, and the Leonard Vienna Austria mark is on the cocoa pot.

What would you call this style? Art Nouveau?

How much would you say something like this is worth? They are all hand-painted and in excellent condition, with no chips, crazing, or cracks. IMG_2159-min.JPG IMG_2167-min.JPG IMG_2179-min.JPG IMG_2180-min.JPG IMG_2181-min.JPG IMG_2192-min.JPG

2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I believe the marks are all green ware marks on items purchased separately and decorated by a hobbyist. The dates of the green ware marks only tell you the earliest they could have been painted.

Aquitaine, Barn Owl, judy and 3 others like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

At the turn of the century ladies enjoyed China painting as a hobby. What they did was buy white china blanks, what Janet is calling green ware.
    They would then paint the china either free hand or from patterns.

Often you will see a name and a date on the bottom which helps identify it as hobbiest. Some were more professional and signed their names in the artwork itself. Some isn't signed at all.

As in all art, there are good painters and some not so good.

I think yours was one of the more talented ones.

Sandra, Aquitaine, Bakersgma and 4 others like this.
  4. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

That is GORGEOUS!!! :eek:

Aquitaine, Barn Owl and judy like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, lovely decoration, perfectly spaced.

Aquitaine, Barn Owl and judy like this.
  6. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

mutter mutter thou shalt not covet mutter mutter...

SBSVC, Aquitaine, Bakersgma and 4 others like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:hilarious:

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Bishop and Stonier, if it helps. Between 1891 and the 1920s. I agree on hobby painted.

9. Barn Owl

Thank you! That makes sense. I didn't think they were hobbyist paintings. They look so nice...

These aren't signed, unfortunately. :( But now I know what those occasional signed pieces I come across are all about :)

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  10. Barn Owl

Thanks! I fell in love with them when I saw them.
    I really like how the flowers are painted vertically on the china.
    Haha! I'm going to be posting it on my Etsy store soon, I think. I just wanted more information on them first.

Aquitaine and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Barn Owl

Thank you! Now, I have a better range. I figure these were painted around the same time, so if I can find an intersection between all three dates, that will help.
    I assume it's around 1891 - 1909 now.

Aquitaine likes this.
  12. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

JMHO, not Art Nouveau in style. They are very pretty :)

Barn Owl likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted