Featured Victorian carved wood set - gone in 60 seconds

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by evelyb30, Aug 11, 2024.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think @Ghopper1924 came here and hauled this off.(LOL) My local ReStore got a giant hand-carved sideboard and a storage cabinet and priced the pair at ...$200. The stone top on the sideboard broke on arrival I guess and it was discarded. The main problem I could see was that you'd need a space with 12 foot (4 meter-ish) ceilings just to get it in the door. It was sold by the next day. Very aesthetic period stuff, walnut, and carved everywhere a panel could be carved by someone who knew his business. And when I came home to upload the photos to the board, the server had died. But..here they are. Lousy, but my phone isn't that great and it was bad lighting, and the cabinet was gone the next day.

IMG_20240730_103303_0 (1).jpg IMG_20240730_103339_5.jpg

Poppies, mirana, judy and 6 others like this.
  2. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Wow handcarved,looks like beautiful work. I really like the storage cabinet. Thank you for showing us.

3. evelyb30

The company must have imported some carvers from Italy or Germany. Maybe both. The buyer got a screaming steal is all I know.

mirana, judy, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  4. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

I'd have to ship it to the ancient family castle-wouldn't fit in our Airstream !

5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Stunning! Ca. 1880, western European and walnut, as you mentioned. Impeccable work! It’s killing me that I didn’t get there first….

6. evelyb30

If I'd had any place to put it and a way to get it there I'd have nabbed it too. At least three other people said the same while I was standing there. And they say Victorian furniture is dead.

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Victorian furniture like this is not dead at $100 a pop. It should be bringing many multiples of that. Get these at more than 3 times this and they will likely sit.

8. evelyb30

I'm betting it cost more than $200 in 1880s dollars, when it was new.

judy, johnnycb09 and Boland like this.
  9. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Beautiful and cheap.. ‘Where to put it’ would have been my biggest and unsolvable problem.

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Looks Belgian to me, so another positive for Western Europe.

We see these a lot overhere in the south of NL (bordering Belgium), and they can't even give them away here. I guess people prefer Ikea.:(
    To be fair, it isn't to my taste either, but I don't prefer Ikea.;)

Poppies, mirana, verybrad and 3 others like this.
  11. evelyb30

I've got enough woodworking and art major friends locally that the work involved was enough to make me like it. The style isn't totally mine, but I understand the passion.

mirana likes this.
  12. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

A lot of members has probably see this. But I was just amazed when I watched a short video (quite old) on the Robin Hood clock they had at M.S Rau (Wow,they have some absolutely wonderful once-off items) The clock is huge the detailed carving is truly amazing. What a masterpiece!

Draft saved Draft deleted