Very Rare John Coovert 1928 Photograph

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by antiquelover69, Mar 31, 2021.

1. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

This is a 1928 photograph by John Coovert.I've had this photo about 7 or 8 years.I can't remember if it was a storage auction or estate sale.Measure 18 1/2"x 10 1/2". Memphis tn. I found one article on this gentleman.His photographs are suppose to be very rare.I can't find one that has sold.Anybody know a site I can reference to. SAM_0814.JPG SAM_0812.JPG SAM_0815.JPG SAM_0818.JPG SAM_0816.JPG SAM_0819.JPG SAM_0813.JPG

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. antiquelover69

4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That website is probably the most thorough one you will find. Here is a link to its Home page http://www.jccoovert.com/index.html

There are several libraries, museums, and other institutions that have digital copies of some of his photos, and some also have collections of his papers. I wouldn't call them rare, but it's possible that your print is a rare one. One example is the Digital Collection of Memphis Public Libraries: https://memphislibrary.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/p13039coll1/id/177/

Your photo appears to be in poor condition, since it's been folded down the middle and has tears and stains. You may be taking care of it now, but I would suggest putting it into a sleeve or cover that is made of archival-quality materials -- if you are not already doing so.

As for finding sold versions of his photos, you could put a "saved search" into eBay, in the photos area, for "coovert" and they will send you emails when new items show up. Currently there are two photo postcard listings with his photos running in eBay. They may not be worth as much as the type of photo you have. I didn't find anything by him in the "sold" listings, which are only maintained for 90 days.

I also searched "coovert" in the Worthopedia on the Worthpoint site. These will mostly be old ebay listings, but you have to have a subscription to see date and price of the sales. With just that one-word search some things came up that are photos of his. Whether they are period photos or printed later I have no idea. Also some are postcards, and it also came up with things that don't appear to be related. https://www.worthpoint.com/inventory/search?query=coovert

antiquelover69 likes this.
  5. antiquelover69

Thank you sooo muchh!! I have been looking for years. I'm researching again. I throught about trying Dr Lora but I will have to pay.Again thanks!

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted