Featured Very old Hopi pot, I think

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Paul W, Sep 7, 2023.

1. Paul W

Paul W Active Member

I think I may have picked up a genuinely old, old Hopi pot today at an estate sale. Six inches in diameter x 4.5 inches tall. Two old cracks. Unusual rabbit (maybe mouse) molded in relief, with a tail bulge on the opposite end. Very dark charcoal gray color inside. Inside was a ticket for Antiques Road Show (San Diego) with what looks like possibly a $$ estimate of value penned in on the back. Experts, please let me know what you think.

IMG_20230907_161344.jpg IMG_20230907_161415.jpg IMG_20230907_161424.jpg IMG_20230907_161855.jpg IMG_20230907_161654.jpg IMG_20230907_161919.jpg

stracci, Any Jewelry, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry, Paul W and Bronwen like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Roaring20s and Paul W like this.
  4. Paul W

Paul W Active Member

Yes, other sources say pre-Columbian (the history of Indigenous cultures until significant influence by Europeans). I'm surprised that there appears to be so many of these 500-800 year-old intact bowls and things around, and fairly affordable for the collector.

Roaring20s and Bronwen like this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

6. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

It's not Hopi.

Others are right: Casas Grandes, Northern Mexico, related to the Mata Ortiz pottery of the last 50 years.

The question is whether it's really, really old, or 50 years old. Based on the wear, and the brightness of the lines and colors, I'm inclined to say it's a more contemporary effigy pot made 'in the style of' those very old pieces.

It's an interesting piece, and probably well worth what you woulda paid for it at an estate sale, but probably not a way-old piece.

7. Paul W

Paul W Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted