Very Old German Texts - Any Idea of Value?

Discussion in 'Books' started by 4458190, Dec 8, 2020.

1. 4458190

4458190 New Member

German Book 1.jpg German Book 2.jpg These books are very old. I have two that appear to be the same.

Really great pictures inside. I can add pictures if requested to help.

I can't identify the publish date or if they are of any value. Any help would be appreciated.

Looks like older German script. Suggestions on translation would be appreciated.

They appear to be historical reference books of a Germany long ago....

Thank you in advance for your help!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2020
    judy likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The German-French War. In Words & Pictures. What does some of the inside look like? If I'm getting a correct translation for some of what is on the title page, it asserts it is tastefully prepared.

kyratango and Figtree3 like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

pearlsnblume, Bronwen and Figtree3 like this.
  4. Ex Libris

Ex Libris Well-Known Member

kyratango, pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  5. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Love the design and illustrations.

pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the author is Egmont Fehleisen.
    to give you an idea for the continent - or rather Germany :
    https://www.zvab.com/buch-suchen/titel/der-deutsch-franzoesische-krieg/autor/egmont-fehleisen/

when an author has to stress that he won an Iron Cross, then you know from where the wind blows.
    here a bit more about this "journalist":
    https://fines-mundi.de/Fehleisen-Egmont

all in all dust-collectors with nice Jugendstil graphics that were published post mortem in the 1890s and will never reach the prices asked for .
    interesting maybe for German-Americans that come from uneducated families that believe that Alsace-Lorraine still belongs to Germany.:rolleyes::wideyed::)

7. 4458190

4458190 New Member

Thank you all for the information. For some reason I don't get notifications of responses. I do appreciate the information.

The books were kept by my German decent family. The books do have great looking pictures and have some binder damage. I could never discard these for at the least being a part of history and having survived so long.

Maybe there is an app or program to translate? It would be interesting reading.

I get the feeling that a book collector would not be interested? Some museum or library?

8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

you see it here with some answers given. most cannot read that old script and don't have enough German knowledge to find the name of the author.
    for libraries it is not suitable because it's not really history but rather one of the many ultra-nationalist books that appeared after the victory 1871 and after the Proclamation of the German Empire.
    if I was you I'd keep them and start to learn the printed Frakturschrift. I'm sure you'll find out whichone of the many it is.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraktur

Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted