Very old books that are possibly comedy/satire

Discussion in 'Books' started by AntiqueBytes, Oct 19, 2023.

1. AntiqueBytes

AntiqueBytes Well-Known Member

I have this book "Fifty years' correspondence, Inglish, French, and Latin, in proze and verse; between geniusses ov boath sexes, and James Elphinston: in eight pocket-vollumes....Volume 7.'

Printed by Ritchardson, et al. London. 1794. Front cover and first endpaper are detached, about top third of spine leather is mssing, otherwise binding is solid and textblock is clean. Bookplate of "H. Scofield, Library" on front endpaper.

I cannot tell if its supposed to be a comedy or not. I wrote to Adam the bookseller from Pawn Stars if he ever found old books that eventually turned out to be comedy/ satire but not appearing to be from the start, and he wrote me a nice letter back asking me to send some photos to him. Haven't heard back from him yet.

I'll post some pages but not sure how easy it will be to read them.

It may be necessary to right click save and then look at in image editor.

geniusbothsexes.jpg geniusbothsexes3a.jpg geniusbothsexes4a.jpg geniusbothsexes5a.jpg geniusbothsexes6.jpg geniusbothsexes7.jpg

Last edited: Oct 19, 2023
    moreotherstuff likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The spelling is not something I've encountered. The use of "d" for "t", when "t" is available, is strange to me. The "f" looking "s" is standard for the time but near to the end of that practice.

Bronwen, Aquitaine and AntiqueBytes like this.
  4. AntiqueBytes

Thanks. That link doesn't list this book in his bibliography. It should probably be changed.

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

My opinion:

The spelling is consistent, so whoever was setting the type was either using some convention I've never encountered or, if working from manuscript letters, misreading the writing. I don't know how true it was, but typesetters were supposed to work letter for letter, not setting a text. Theoretically, you could be a brilliant typesetter and totally illiterate (that might even have been a plus).

AntiqueBytes likes this.
  6. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Figtree3 and AntiqueBytes like this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

So maybe the spelling here is his own idiosyncratic approach, I would guess trying a more phonetic style.

Noah Webster tried to rationalize spelling, but his first dictionary was 1806. Maybe he was influenced by Elfinston.

AntiqueBytes likes this.
  8. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

9. AntiqueBytes

From my ad copy:
    The Samuel Johnson connection is interesting for Johnson's reputation as a lexicographer. Also, Johnson is known for his satirical humor, which perhaps was another reason why these two were friends -- if this is indeed written with a humorous bent in mind. Johnson vouched for Elphinston's character.

Roaring20s likes this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

A bit tricky to read until one gets the 'jist' of it all!!!!

AntiqueBytes likes this.
  11. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The one place I saw this, in a Q&D reading, was when 'th' was voiced, as in 'this' & 'that.' Gives it a Welsh look, presumably in use in Scotland at the time. Can you spot a place where 'dh' is used for 'th', as in thistle?

AntiqueBytes likes this.
  12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It occurs regularly: "Though" becomes "dho", "the" becomes "dhe", "then" becomes "dhen". Lower case "s" is frequently replaced with "z", "of" becomes "ov"... lots of suchlike.

AntiqueBytes likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Slowly morphing into Dutch.;)

14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

AntiqueBytes and Roaring20s like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted