Very interesting boy/girl sculpture

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Hunter S., Sep 10, 2022.

1. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

Hello again good people,

My family laughed at me when I bought this :sorry::sorry::sorry: I would like to prove them wrong :bucktooth::bucktooth::bucktooth:

Someone mentioned to me Jugendstil when they saw it...I was thinking French, Holland or mcm Italy...and it is going to be something very cheap from India :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: ofc

Dimension are: 25.5cm[10in] x 18cm[7in] x 16cm[6.2in] Weights roughly around 5kg [176 ounce] really heavy...also I am unsure about the material...i think it has glass eyes...couldn't find any signatures or anything similar but it is so shiny that it is hard to look :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

I am listening :bookworm::bookworm::bookworm::blackeye::blackeye::blackeye::bag::bag::bag:

20220911_005228.jpg
    20220911_005214.jpg 20220911_004834.jpg 20220911_005155.jpg 20220911_004920.jpg 20220911_005100.jpg 20220911_005134.jpg 20220911_005040.jpg

judy and Bronwen like this.
  2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

These pin holes usually point to a resin casting. This one looks as if it was sprayed gold.
    C7ADCFFA-2B21-43B9-B654-CDE0E2E46FC5.jpeg

judy, Boland, Bronwen and 4 others like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Wonder if it could be considered a piano baby, even though not porcelain?

judy and Hunter S. like this.
  4. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Izzat Pooh Bear?

Hunter S. likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Not Jugendstil or anything Art Nouveau related.
    I'm not thinking any of those.:confused: In fact I'm not thinking at all.:bag:
    The surface is very blobby and wrinkly. I won't say what I thought she was holding at first.:muted:
    I don't see glass eyes, isn't she gold all over?

6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Ummm, gotta side with your family (so much more frightening than Kyra's rhinocerskink)...

~Cheryl

7. Any Jewelry

Agree.:oops:

BoudiccaJones, Hunter S. and Bronwen like this.
  8. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

I have limited knowledge. But I really hope you didn’t pay a lot for this. Looks like something from a gift store (and yes then spray painted) The paint does look probably and thickly applied (maybe that’s a positive)

9. Any Jewelry

10. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

It's pretty big.

Hunter S. and Bronwen like this.
  11. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

LOL, I do not know what to say...well...
    First of all, ofc I ain't right (not Jungedstil...nor French, Holland or Italy) :blackeye::blackeye::blackeye:
    It is gold all over except under it...like on the pics
    I am also unsure about the eyes :bored::woot:
    Thank you for supporting my family :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
    I am glad that it is scaring you :jawdrop::joyful::jawdrop::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
    I paid some really symbolic money for it...however I do not agree about the spray paint...it doesn't really look like spray paint...I may have made the light for the photos bad...so it looks that way
    :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: And NO it is not a stolen alien baby sculpture :blackalien::blackalien::blackalien::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Thank you all so much...:shame::happy::happy::happy::shame:

But nobody truly knows what it is exactly :hungry::hungry::hungry: Loving it :couchpotato::couchpotato::couchpotato:

12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

13. Houseful

From the front pictures the child doesn’t appear to have a neck, the back of the neck anatomy looks a bit odd too.
    I’ve done quite a lot of resin casting and either you paint the inside of the mould with a thin coat of resin which could include a metal powder then you fill the rest of the mould with less expensive bulking stone powder mixed with resin. This gold finish looks painted on after casting, sprayed or brushed on, you just wouldn’t get that high gloss with regular metal powder casting.

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and Hunter S. like this.
  14. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Good or bad, it’s definitely a conversation piece and it gets a reaction. You love it and it’s yours (so you can rightly be happy with it) If you plan on buying more of these then just don’t tell your family about it

15. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

Houseful...I think it does have a neck but it is rather proportional to baby size...I am not familiar with resin, casts or how the paint is applied...I really trust your (all of yours) judgment on this...I am rather and still just confused by it :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

And YES Boland...I will keep on buying everything I like :happy::happy::happy: as that makes me happy...and also scares my family and some other people...so that is a big plus :):):) and also...the most important part...I HAVE THE GOLDEN CHILD!!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

16. Houseful

Indeed you do have the Golden Child and yours is unlikely to be stolen unlike the Grayson Perry version:)

17. Any Jewelry

We can't find a similar one (possible exception the Grayson Perry baby:D), which means it is very rare, and therefore extremely valuable.:smug:
    (Or so some newbies tell us....)

18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

still...it's just a resin mold..:(

Boland, Bronwen and Hunter S. like this.
  19. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

hahahahahah :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: love all of the comments above :shame::shame::shame:

Golden Creep...I mean Golden Resin Child says hello to you all...with its glass eye it sends its regards...or is it...a glass eye? :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

It still remains a mystery :bookworm::bookworm::bookworm:

bercrystal, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Maybe the glass eyes were an optional extra. But we will probably never know with such a limited run collectors piece. Ha ha

Any Jewelry and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted