Vase... what material is this ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Walter901, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Walter901

Walter901 Member

Hi,

I've found this vase... there are quite a lot of vintage, reproductions out there... but i'm wondering is this an antique one? Please note, none of the ones on ebay etc have the lower stand carved. It supposed to come from Malaysia in the 70s... the owner says its marble... is it ? Or bone or resin ? No signature etc.

Thanks !
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

yourturntoloveit and kyratango like this.
  2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Any pictures of the bottom? I think I see resin holes especially on the base in the last pic. Wait for others to give their opinions though.

judy, blooey and i need help like this.
  3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Looks like soapstone rather than resin:cyclops:
    Nice carving!

judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Can't tell what material, but the style of the decor is definitively Chinese. May not have been made there, but that's what it is portraying.

judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  5. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Reconstituted alabaster? Edit: if the holes are any indication. You can probably tell - better than we can - if it is carved.

I love it. Thanks for sharing, @Walter901 :)

judy likes this.
  6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

These are usually cast, but maybe someone carved one? Doubt it though...

aaroncab, scoutshouse and judy like this.
  7. Walter901

Walter901 Member

Hi Guys, thanks for the comments. I just picked it up and added new pictures including one of below with a chinese marking... hope this helps ! c1.jpg c2.jpg c3.jpg c4.jpg

judy likes this.
  8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

9. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

If you look at the middle of the elephants head, that looks like a buffed out area where the silicone mould seam was.

PortableTreasures likes this.
  10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Certainly not a "natural" or "organic" material.

11. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Some mention a Norleans label,but don't show one.

This is on ebay with about 5 others...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Houseful likes this.
  12. Walter901

Walter901 Member

Thanks guys ! Before I bought I actually checked and saw a lot of fake ones out there... i got it really cheap. I will put it in a rental house so I just wanted to check that i'm not putting something too valuable... Looks like the same markings on that one scoutshouse... so that clears it up !

Draft saved Draft deleted