Vanity/desk Berkley and gay

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Bry, Mar 2, 2024.

1. Bry

Bry New Member

20240302_122332.jpg 17094159088135466510994482238556.jpg 17094159532012981337046179203731.jpg I got this for free on market place for my daughters big girl room and its absolutely beautiful in person. View attachment 475059 I've done as much research as I can with my hyper toddler and Google overload. I would like to know more about this such as date, type of wood and how to safely return back to natural state. View attachment 475059

Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Bry, would you go back and repost all your photographs as Full Image rather than Thumbnail? That will make them easier for everyone to see.

Debora

3. Bry

Bry New Member

Yes I pushed full, but must have erased after I tried to edit

4. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Dates 1905 to 1929 with that label.
    Mikey

Bry likes this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Berkey, not Berkley. Think of Christmas: No L.

Bakersgma likes this.
  6. Bry

Bry New Member

Yes
    Ya thank you, just realized I spelt it wrong. But idk how to edit it

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Not sure, but try 'thread tools' near the top of page.

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's very sweet. By "natural state" do you mean removing the paint?

Debora

9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Very pretty French style. Pity about that ghastly paint ! Thats a lovely piece your daughter can use for a lifetime. Id guess around 1920s.

10. Bry

Bry New Member

Yes I'd like to remove the paint safely and its missing 2 drawer stopper so need to figure out how to make or replace them.

11. Bry

Bry New Member

I know it have teal underneath to and its driving me nuts. All my antiques were given away when I was younger, so want her to learn the importance of this and keep it for generations

komokwa likes this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

well what you have isn't quite yet Antique.....but may well turn out to be a family heirloom.....
    or a garage sale item...;)

Let the teaching begin..:playful::playful:;););)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
    Bakersgma and Bry like this.
  13. Bry

Bry New Member

Just curious, what makes something antique and how is this not?

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

To be an antique, an item must be at least 100 years old. If, as above, the label dates your desk to 1905 - 1929 then it is antique (or close enough.)

Debora

johnnycb09 likes this.
  15. komokwa

I was thinking it wasn't old enuf.......but as Deb says...it could be close enuf.....

I edited my post to reflect this..

Debora likes this.
  16. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I guess if you are going to strip paint, a Berkey and Gay piece may be a good choice. It is quality furniture. Stripping paint is a pretty arduous process these days. The chemicals available just are not as strong as what we used to have. While I appreciate the sentiment to bring this back to original form, it may not be worth the effort involved. It will not enhance the value in today's market. I know that may not be your primary motivation but might be worth considering. You also never know what you will find under the paint. Quite often, pieces were painted due to finish and/or wood damage.

17. Bry

Bry New Member

Thank you verybrad, I didn't think about what it could be covering up. Ill just leave it, plus she thinks its a princess table that came from a queen so ima just let her have her dream while she's young

NanaB, verybrad and komokwa like this.
  18. komokwa

Good mama !!!:kiss:

NanaB likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted