Featured Van Paridon Brothers, Wood and Opaline Glass Crucifix

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Marote, Apr 8, 2024.

1. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Bought this crucifix on Saturday. It has the "Gebroeders Van Paridon" mark on the bottom left.
    On the bottom right there's MP (?). Are those the initials of the artist (as this seller says https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/886668864/art-deco-crucifix-h33cm-stained-opaline)? Any idea who that artist is?
    image0.jpeg image1.jpeg image2.jpeg
    Some sell this type of GvP crucifixes as 1940s - early 1950s pieces (like the mentioned Etsy seller). And others say it's 1950s -1960s. (and a few sell it as 1920s)
    50s-60s more likely?

image1.jpeg image0.jpeg
    The stickers on the back are missing on mine, and it's smaller compared to the Etsy version (25.5cm x 21cm)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The van Paridon borthers had a shop selling religious art in Amsterdam. My mother went there a lot, and they were roughly the same age as my mother, so born in the 1920s.
    I remember the shop from the 1960s and 70s, but they could have opened in the late 50s.
    (Quite surprised to see a name from my childhood;))

The subject is based on an older one, so difficult to date. I would stay on the safe side, and not mention any date older than the 1960s.

3. Any Jewelry

Correction, I just read in the link below that the van Paridon brothers I knew must have been the second generation.
    The first generation opened the shop ca 1905. The shop finally closed in 2012.

https://www.winkelstories.com/Paridon00.html

4. Any Jewelry

5. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

So the crucifix is a genuine antique?
    :hilarious::smuggrin::wacky:;)

aaroncab and komokwa like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Ancient!;)

komokwa and Marote like this.
  7. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Big brother of the Van Paridon Brothers crucifix added to the collection today
    image12.jpeg image7.jpeg

8. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Very cool designs!

aaroncab and Marote like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted