Van Briggle Lamp Pattern ID Needed

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by vitry-le-francois, Jul 12, 2015.

1. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

Or does it really matter the pattern ID? I've searched through 1,257,912 Google images on Van Briggle Pottery and can't find the pattern of this lamp anywhere. Unless I missed it, I can't find another example of this lamp! I'm sure it's not rare or worth much, but it gets frustrating when you can't ID something!!! GRRR!!

briggle1.jpg briggle4.jpg briggle3.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I didn't find it and prices are all over the place.
    Maybe David Rago will give you some idea and sell it for you.

3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi vitry-le-francois - I have limited experience with Van Briggle but believe that the pattern names on Van Briggle are much less important than the are with Hull or Roseville. Individual vases and bowls sometimes have names, (e.g. Lorelei, The Siren of the Sea) but most pieces are identified more by glaze color. Pattern names as we usually use them do not exist in Van Briggle that I'm aware of.
    Don

4. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

KingofThings likes this.
  6. vitry-le-francois

oh wow, that's the lamp. Thanks, messilane! I also have the shade. I didn't think it went with it but seeing that one in the catalog mine is the same theme. Shame the shade is damaged, though :(

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

That is a shame, but i would "run it up the flagpole" anyhoo. They are not all that easy to find.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I would call this a tulip design also. As mentioned above, there are not really pattern names for most Van Briggle. There are mold numbers and they are good to have. I am not home right now so can't look in my VB book to see if it is in there. If I remember correctly, this is a later piece so may not be in the book. VB commands high prices for the very early pieces. All others are run of the mill, though you often see buyers convinced something is early when it is not and the price will soar. I have seen some huge prices paid for VB popular pieces such as Lorelei that were virtually brand new. The lamps were not made in the early years and were most popular in the 50s and 60s.

9. vitry-le-francois

Thanks for all the nifty info, people :)

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Got a chance to look in my book but it is not there, nor is it shown as a vase. Doesn't surprise me, as the focus is primarily on earlier forms and the book is from '95. I don't think it will matter for selling this.

11. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

How bad is the shade? These butterfly shades are always a good selling point, even if a little rough.
    I've got good money just for the shades in the past. (WAY past...:()
    I'm with Brad and the others. That base is a clean base probably from the Sixties... maybe Seventies.

VB values have suffered severely in recent years.

Dating VB is a mystic art. It's all in reading the base.

Draft saved Draft deleted