Van Briggle glaze color verification

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by UncleChuckTX, Sep 19, 2017.

1. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

Before I list these ashtrays, I wanted to verify I had IDed the correct glaze colors. I tried to match the bottom markings to the ones on the ClemHull site for a general age range: '50s - '60s? I'm not sure I'm correct, or if it matters in this case.

http://clemhull.com/BottomMarkings.html#Finisher

I'd appreciate it if anyone can correct me if I'm way off base. Thanks!

Ming Blue? Etcher C?

IMG_0133.JPG
    IMG_0138.JPG
    IMG_0136.JPG

Mulberry or Persian Rose? Etcher D?

IMG_0140.JPG
    IMG_0143.JPG
    IMG_0145.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  2. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

I see a little Blue in the second one. I believe that would be Mulberry.

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

First is definitely Ming. Not so sure about second but as noted, if has some blue shading, is probably mulberry. Some of the earlier Persian rose was pretty dark compared to the later production.

anundverkaufen and UncleChuckTX like this.
  4. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

Thank you both!

I remembered that I had a Van Briggle book, and decided to dig it out - the "Collector's Encyclopedia of Van Briggle" by Sasicki & Fania. It shows numerous examples of all different glazes colors, but doesn't identify a single glaze by name on any of the pieces, only mold numbers, typical markings, and a production date range.

The book also has a long written description of the differences in the colors, and how they evolved over the years due to production issues, base clay changes, experimental formulations, etc. But it doesn't have any comparison photos of any of them. No side-by-side of Mulberry vs Persian Rose, or all the different Ming Blue variations, nothing! So frustrating.

Draft saved Draft deleted