Value of tin soldiers

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by tomreisn, Nov 21, 2016.

1. tomreisn

tomreisn New Member

Hi
    discovered those tin soldiers, just wondering whether they have value..?

PB194868.jpg PB194871.jpg PB194874.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Those are from home molds. They are still being cast today from the old molds.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. tomreisn

tomreisn New Member

Its possible, but those are at least 70 or 75 years old (if it makes a difference).

KingofThings likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'm sure they have value to a collector..

KingofThings likes this.
  5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

6. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Hi, Tom, and welcome.

Your tin soldiers all look to be "flats". While, as Terry has said, some folks may still be making them, the flats really are not all that popular today. (Yours are of the type that boys of my father's generation might have played with back in the 1930's or so.)

There are still many "gamers" who enjoy re-enacting battles by "pushing around" little soldier figures. Most use the more 3-dimensional "lead" soldiers on solid bases, which are less likely to fall over than the flats.

Poorly painted (amateurish) figures are often valued at lower prices than those that have never been painted at all. More professionally painted figures bring the highest prices. Either way, the flats are mostly used for display these days. They don't command high prices, but check eBay & other selling venues, using the info below.

If you want to try to sell these, you'll be best off if you separate them into types. You have several Native American figures (think cowboys & Indians) that should be grouped together.

If you remove the Native Americans from your 1st photo, you have mostly German WWI figures: a German cavalryman, 2 German machine guns, and, at the bottom, a bunch of German infantrymen. There's also a WWI French tank, a WWI French 75, and a WWI destroyer. Were I trying to sell them, I'd group the infantrymen together and possibly list the others individually. (Unfortunately, they won't bring much.)

The guys on horseback in your 2nd photo appear to be c.1870's Franco-Prussian War dragoons. (Not MADE in the 1870's - that's the era represented.)

The soldiers in the box in photo 3 look to be more WWI German infantrymen.

Hope this helps. Best of luck with them!

7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Somehow I missed the ship!
    I could be interested in that one!
    And any that might be sailors though I don't see any.