Value of MCM Kroehler Orange Velvet Armchair?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Woobs, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Woobs

Woobs New Member

B3F457E3-0104-4B76-BEC9-5C09440740BC.jpeg A8110171-C429-4ECF-B4B4-2F5BABD4CA89.jpeg B3F457E3-0104-4B76-BEC9-5C09440740BC.jpeg Hi all!

I am wondering about the approx value of this MCM crushed velvet orange barrel back Kroehler arm chair.

it is in pretty good condition with a little sunfading on the arms, some scratched on the exterior and the other tags missing.

Any context you can give me on this would be great. I got it a while back from someone for $25, doesnt work in my home so was going to sell it and after a google for general pricing was surprised to find that things by this maker can go for quite a bit! (I am new to this, lol.) Ive search the corners of the internet I know how to find for similar things but the price ranges quite a bit and without being a person with antiques knowledge its hard to know how rarity and that stuff works into all this.

31” D x 31” W x 30” H

Attached Files:

Tom Mackay likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'm not sure just what type of home it would work in..........??????

it looks comfy ....but....... crushed orange velvet...?

if u live in a big city...u may find a quirky buyer.....but IMO....you'd be hard pressed to get more than $50 !

I really don't think this is in high demand............:(:(

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Where you are and how you are selling means everything. Here in my semi-rural Midwest location, $50.00 or so at retail would be about tops. You really can not trust internet prices for most furniture. Many sellers are fishing for big bucks clients and asking is not getting. You also need to take in to account shipping., which is sometimes built in to an asking price. There may be some customer somewhere who might pay pretty good for this but finding them is like finding a needle in a haystack.

4. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Ain't that the truth! or for much of anything else for that matter.
    This chair is MCM? OK, I guess. This is the kind of chair around my location one has to pay someone to come get.

judy and komokwa like this.
  5. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I disagree with the above. I think you might be able to get some decent money for this if you found the right person. I know I could. I'm in Central MA.
    I looked at your IP address and it seems like you live in a place where it could be desirable.

judy and James Conrad like this.
  6. Bookahtoo

7. James Conrad

Looks like a cube chair on 1st dibs, $1500 for a pair, YIKES!
    19739102_master.jpeg

judy likes this.
  8. James Conrad

9. Bookahtoo

poetic license James....:rolleyes::D

10. James Conrad

LOL, OK! still, that 1970s orange, avocado green, harvest gold thingy is tough to give away around here, I'VE TRIED!

judy and komokwa like this.
  11. komokwa

12. Woobs

Woobs New Member

Thanks for the feedback yall. Yeah i guess when i say mcm i really only meant the silhouette, im new here lol. &since i cant find when it was exactly made. But like u said- orange color would indicate 70s.

i am in minneapolis, its pretty easy to sell just about anything here, just a matter of striking the right price.

Thanks!

judy, James Conrad and komokwa like this.
  13. Woobs

Woobs New Member

Or “post modern” as that description says! Lol

im learning..

Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  14. komokwa

Yer welcome !
    & best o' luck !!

Oh...my shag carpet ...in the 70's....burnt orange !!! :hilarious:

Ghopper1924, James Conrad and judy like this.
  15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Komo,
    I moved to NYC in 1976. Rented an apartment with brown carpeting. Lived for a couple of weeks and decided to have the carpet cleaned before my furniture arrived. It turned out to be burnt orange. It was out of the apartment the next day, it was still damp. :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    greg

16. James Conrad

LOL, Yeah. That's the problem I see with this chair, even though as Book points out, it is a known brand that SELLS well, that orange color! means this chair is called a "project" in my world as it will need a new covering.

komokwa and Ghopper1924 like this.
  17. Bookahtoo

NONSENSE, I say NONSENSE!
    James, you are woefully sheltered. Lots of people like those 70s colors!

komokwa likes this.
  18. James Conrad

lol, I guess, I just don't run into any!

komokwa likes this.
  19. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It really is location dependent. Minneapolis could be a possibility. My customers wouldn't know Kroehler despite having a Kroehler factory less than 100 miles from here at one point. Some would gravitate to this because it is an orange chair "like Grandma had" but wouldn't pay much for it.

komokwa and James Conrad like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted