Vallauris Pottery "Fish" Dish-Bowl-Artist I.D.Help

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by SPERLS, May 11, 2019.

1. SPERLS

SPERLS sperls

I went to the Vallauris Artist Signature site & could not find this example??...Any help appreciated...Thank you, CIMG1430.JPG CIMG1432.JPG

judy likes this.
  2. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

maybe a PWP?
    upload_2019-5-11_23-12-27.png

something symmetrical? looks like it was laid on like this:
    upload_2019-5-11_23-16-32.png

A face of some kind?
    upload_2019-5-11_23-21-35.png

No idea if that helps any.

Made by Rorshach, my guess. :)

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    i need help, SPERLS, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The name could be on the footrim. Not that it is legible.....
    I believe Rorschach designed marks for many manufacturers. He also did very well out of painter's signatures.

4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Boddah and judy like this.
  5. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

agree. Could not even guess at that one. looks like Sharpie marker that's partially worn off that somebody later put on the piece to remind them of the purchase.

Lol.

And for FWIW, the Ps in some of Pablo Picasso's signatures used a similar 'V' angle as in the first, so since it's the same town, thought maybe it was some kind of homage to PP like 'PP Werke' except it's the wrong language. Just hoping @SPERLS has an 'aha moment' if enough is thrown that way.

Any Jewelry, SPERLS and i need help like this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I thought the rim said made in?
    Then continues France. :hilarious:

Any Jewelry, SPERLS and Dawnno like this.
  7. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

OMG, I think you are right! Purty dish. French person made it named Valla Uric.

either that or the dish is real "vallauble" ... it says so.

i need help likes this.
  8. SPERLS

SPERLS sperls

Dawnno...You could be right & maybe this is my aha moment.....I did do some research and found this link on The "Picasso P"....His Ps in Pour (For) are different from his signature & similar to the ones on the bowl...Its a reach....But,there could be a possibility that this is a Picasso dish???. P5120001 (1).JPG https://autographen.wordpress.com/category/artists/pablo-picasso/

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

you could still contact the Musée Magnelli

10. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

I by far have no knowledge about this, but, during my surfing, nothing authentic that I saw online was signed using France or Vallauris, and style is off too. So I thought maybe it was some local poterie that might be 'affiliated' or authorized somehow, or, maybe just trying to pawn off the association. Nice piece; but I didn't mean to get hopes up - it was more of an observation, if anybody with specific Vallauris pottery knew anything that might link the signatures.

i need help, judy and SPERLS like this.
  11. SPERLS

SPERLS sperls

I will contact others who may know..I am a picker & whenever I buy an item,my hopes are always up!!...It could take some time..But the knowledge I receive,on the journey...Good or bad will be worth much more than the price, I paid for the bowl..Thank you all,for your help.

judy likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Of course I read niny ih.:banghead:
    :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
    Uric sounds Slavic to me. Maybe Serbian?:D

i need help and judy like this.
  13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

on pinterest there's the same signature under Vallauris ceramique. I am not registered there but if someone could look.

SPERLS likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

You don't have to be registered to look or click on links on pinterest pages, but if you post the link I will have a look.

i need help and SPERLS like this.
  15. SPERLS

SPERLS sperls

Boddah, i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Picasso signed "Picasso" anyway in those years and on ceramics. I believe he never used his first name on ceramics.

SPERLS and Boddah like this.
  17. Boddah

Boddah Active Member

How much is this dish worth if I may ask? I find different prices for similar pieces.

SPERLS likes this.
  18. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

19. Boddah

Boddah Active Member

Market price is a strange thing sometimes. IMHO it should be worth much more.

Draft saved Draft deleted