Val Robbins Bowls

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Norm, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Norm

Norm Member

i found these today at a local store. I cant find a whole lot on Val Robbins but I see his pieces are valuable. Anyone have any info they can share with me on these bowls. There is some wear on the lacquer in some spots, so would it be something i should repair? Just any general thoughts because i believed 20200821_195309.jpg 20200821_195243.jpg 20200821_194807.jpg 20200821_194732.jpg they were just some wood bowls but now im hoping theyre a great find.

judy likes this.
  2. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't bother repairing. Couldn't find any that had his signature on the back like the one in your pic.

judy and Norm like this.
  3. Norm

Norm Member

Yeah i found some sculptures with his signature but not any bowls.

judy likes this.
  4. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

I was told to rub mine with mineral oil after cleaning, let it sit a while, wipe - and they are ready to use!

BTW, these do sell.

judy and Fid like this.
  5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

probably also used as fruit bowls I'd use olive oil.

judy likes this.
  6. Norm

Norm Member

Thank you. I will give that a shot.

7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Most Europeans use olive oil but here in the States we use mineral oil available at drug stores. I have found that olive oil turns rancid after a while. Mineral oil does NOT turn rancid.
    greg

Norm, patd8643, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Mineral oil contains liquid paraffin, a petroleum product, which is why Europeans don't use it on anything that comes in contact with food. Food laws here are more strict than in the US, and there is greater general awareness of what to use in or with food.

I use rice bran oil for this kind of thing, nice and fluid, safe with food, and no rancid smell.
    I have never had olive oil turn rancid, btw.

Norm, Figtree3, patd8643 and 2 others like this.
  9. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Hum... In France liquide paraffin is used (take one spoonful, totally inert and non abborbed by the digestive tractus) as a mechanical laxative, sold in pharmacy, and even given to babies.
    Absolutely safe to ingest (except not in big amount or... You'll have leaking if you laugh hard:facepalm:
    :D

Norm, patd8643, bercrystal and 2 others like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That used to be done here too, but not anymore.

Norm and kyratango like this.
  11. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Norm, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted