US Union Civil War Belt Buckle

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by jkirkby, Oct 15, 2020.

1. jkirkby

jkirkby New Member

I have been trying to find information about this belt buckle. I can't find another one that is similar to it. Is it a reproduction? It measures 61mm in length and is 40mm in height. The brass fittings on the back are rather crude. Any information is appreciated!

buckle1.jpg buckle2.jpg buckle3.jpg buckle5.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

There are lots and lots of reproductions of this sort of item. If you go to images.google.com and search for
    reproduction US civil war buckle
    you will find some of them. I am not an expert in this field, but there are many more reproductions than real buckles of this sort, so it's reasonable to be skeptical. I would expect a real US Civil War item to have much sharper and better executed letters.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    jkirkby, judy, antidiem and 1 other person like this.
  3. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Crude Brass casting (From India?). I'de say front was "Tooled/Polished" to make the appearance of old. Back is "As cast" and doesn't resemble any civil war belt attachments I've seen before. So pretty much looks new - if it was used, the cast surfaces on the back of the buckle would be worn and smoothed over - not still "grainy" from the sand mold.

jkirkby and judy like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's a bad replica..

jkirkby and judy like this.
  5. jkirkby

jkirkby New Member

Thanks everyone!

Draft saved Draft deleted