Urgent help request - post 4 of 3 (lol) ID for US customs - French stoneware? red decoration?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KylieS, Jul 6, 2023.

1. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

LOL sorry there are actually 4 models I couldn't ID - here is the last one -

These are really odd pieces - very heavy and thick body, ecru ground, possibly stoneware but not grainy surface so I'm not sure, hand painted borders. I bought them in France but can't pin them down to a regional style or a maker I know. I guess they could be a studio potter, but something about the form feels factory. There is a partial impressed mark on the back of one, no marks on the other. But the mark is illegible unless you already know who the maker might be. Any ideas appreciated!

Stoneware1.jpg Stoneware.jpg

Repeated text for context:
    Hello all! I have a large shipment of plates stuck in US customs - the new FDA regs with a 'red list' of makers is wreaking havoc with this one...I have 3 models of plates I can't ID, normally I sell them as unknown makers, but because this is a large shipment that has been inspected, they want to know every maker, date of manufacture, etc, along the ADDRESSES of all the manufacturers...(BTW Anyone know where Vieillard of Bordeaux are located these days?? )

Anyway, I've continued my research and, while I have found a few, there are 3 that are stumping me. In order to get a match or a more educated guess I'm hoping the hive mind can help me...

I apologise in advance for the image quality on some of these - I don't have the plates with me anymore so I have to make do with the images I took to list, and since they were all in groups, there is a bit of distortion and low resolution.

Thanks for any ideas !!

2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

3. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Hi thanks for looking - yep! that's my listing.

I have image searched this too, it comes up with close matches in 'restaurant ware' (a new term for me!) but I don't think it's that. Honestly, I think we might be looking at amateur painted on factory blanks so impossible to name. If customs call me on these ones after the other info I've provided, I guess they might need to go in the bin : (

laura9797, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I at first glance thought restaurant ware but it would not have that raised design.

KylieS likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I was able to download one of the back of the plates, but the fronts look like it's an
    ".avif" which I can't open on my programs..........any ideas???? I can work on enlarging the backs of those with maybe what you want?​

KylieS likes this.
  6. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

??? I dont get it - how can you have them listed for sale if they are stuck in customs

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

They are not really listed. At the top of the listing it says "This item is sold out." Etsy leaves things searchable online for a while after they sell, just like eBay does.

KylieS, kyratango and laura9797 like this.
  8. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Thank you for looking at this - I don't know what happened to the images, I was getting them from a few sources, might have uploaded something in a weird format??

But anyway, it's not necessary now, the parcel cleared with my list of 2 addresses, plus 14 noted with just the town and "closed in (x) year" for the manufacturer list AND we didn't have to discard the unidentified pieces. I guess they didn't check as closely as I thought.

Now I just have to hope that they repacked it well and everything arrives safely!

Thanks so much to all who looked and replied! I appreciate the help xo

Figtree3, Aquitaine and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted