Urgent help request - post 3/3 - please help ID for US customs vintage 20th c blue and white

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KylieS, Jul 6, 2023.

1. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

This one is much more modern - it is marked but I couldn't find the maker from that, I suspect quite late 20th C, not before 1960, so might be just too early to be noted on any sites I look at. Bought in France, I suspect Italian perhaps? But really could be anywhere. Long shot but if you recognize the mark please let me know!

Blue-border-front.jpg Blue-border-wholeback.jpg
    Blue-border-mark.jpg

Repeated text for context:
    Hello all! I have a large shipment of plates stuck in US customs - the new FDA regs with a 'red list' of makers is wreaking havoc with this one...I have 3 models of plates I can't ID, normally I sell them as unknown makers, but because this is a large shipment that has been inspected, they want to know every maker, date of manufacture, etc, along the ADDRESSES of all the manufacturers...(BTW Anyone know where Vieillard of Bordeaux are located these days?? )

Anyway, I've continued my research and, while I have found a few, there are 3 that are stumping me. In order to get a match or a more educated guess I'm hoping the hive mind can help me...

I apologise in advance for the image quality on some of these - I don't have the plates with me anymore so I have to make do with the images I took to list, and since they were all in groups, there is a bit of distortion and low resolution.

Thanks for any ideas !!

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:jawdrop::facepalm::dead:
    According to this site the factory closed in 1895:
    https://volare.volotea.com/en/cities/bordeaux/vieillard-bordeaux-earthenware/

I only found that the factory was located in Les Chartrons, a neighbourhood of Bordeaux:
    https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Chartrons

They can't possibly ask for addresses of factories that closed over a century ago.:rolleyes: But if that's what they want, maybe say Les Chartrons, Bordeaux?

Figtree3 and KylieS like this.
  3. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Thank you @Any Jewelry ! That's so helpful :) They have definitely asked for all the addresses, but after spending 30 mins trying to find one address, with 15 more to go, I decided to give them the town and country and a note saying "closed in (x) year" which I hope will be sufficient !

We are in crazy-town with this new list of prohibited importers because of lead content - I understand the desire to limit these imports, but the bureaucracy is amazing. There are some French names on there, but they are all tiny studio potteries - none of the major manufacturers are on there. But we all have to jump through the same hoops!

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Understandable, and let's hope that will be sufficient.
    Even for decorative ceramics?:confused: A lot of antique ceramics probably contain too much lead, but surely collectors know that.

5. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

I declared them as for decorative use, but that's not sufficient now as they need to confirm that the imports are not on the 'red list' of prohibited items - any that are on the prohibited list have to have an obvious sticker stating they are for decorative use only. So, they have to have all this info to be satisfied that your makers are not on the list :banghead::banghead:

6. Any Jewelry

:inpain:

KylieS likes this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Arggggh! The morons have marched! The end buyers know what they're buying, but the writers of import regs have zero clue what they're talking about. ARGGGH.

KylieS likes this.
  8. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Tbh I can understand for new goods but it just shouldn't apply to antiques - just silly. If they want to customs could affix a big notice that the customer can't miss discussing the risks of lead in antique wares - I'm sure some people don't know about it - but most of the time you're exactly right.

(They'll be causing heart attacks from stress with this process :arghh: the medicine worse than the cure!)

Anyway, all my smaller orders sail through - only an issue when it's a large shipment of several boxes!

9. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Hi all, just an update that the parcel cleared with my list of 2 addresses, plus 14 noted with just the town and "closed in (x) year" for the manufacturer list AND we didn't have to discard the unidentified pieces.

Now I just have to hope that they repacked it well and everything arrives safely!

Thanks so much to all who looked and replied! xo

Figtree3, Bakersgma and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Exactly!
    Wonderful, I'm glad that's sorted.:)

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The manufacturer closed before WWI ought to be the last word on antique pieces of pottery/porcelain. I guess somebody finally grew a brain and figured out that antiques fly under different rules.

...but I am so NOT finding out what they do with antique pewter, which always contains lead.

Draft saved Draft deleted