Featured Uranium footed fortified wine glass

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Brian Warshaw, Aug 15, 2024.

1. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

I was first attracted by the uranium glass foot, then the 16-flat glass panes from which the bowl was formed, and then by the overall design.

The dimensions: - height 7cm; rim/foot diameter 5.50cm; and maximum diameter of bowl 6.50cm, suggest to me that it could be a fortified wine glass.

There are no mould marks, and the pontil marks feel very fine, none of the ruggedness shown in photos 3 & 4. The foot, when struct, gives off a dull thud; and although the bowl rings, it has no resonance as does leaded glass. There is a small air-bubble in one of the three feet [Photo 6]

They were bought in France, although the one possibility thrown up by Google Reverse is an Italian glass with slightly different dimensions, and an unknown number of flat panels. The foot isn’t uranium glass, and the seller suggest it is Italian. The seller says they are 1960.

Your suggestions of the purpose of the glasses, and an age and country would be appreciated. Assuming it is mouth blown, how did they form the bowl similar to that of a brandy glass, I would love to know. The panes run from top to bottom of the bowl.

Thanks very much.

QQ.jpg

KK.jpg

Photograph 3
    CC.jpg

Photograph 4
    BB.jpg

QQ.jpg

Photograph 6
    EE.jpg

FF.jpg

FF.jpg

LL.jpg

II.jpg

GG.jpg

Attached Files:

• JJ.jpg
      JJ.jpg
      File size:
      4.5 KB
      Views:
    johnnycb09, LauraGarnet02 and komokwa like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I’d have thought English. They’re very like smaller versions of some sundae dishes I’ve had.

johnnycb09 and Brian Warshaw like this.
  3. Brian Warshaw

That surprises me. Any idea of the date of your sundae dishes?

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Made from the thirties into the sixties or thereabouts.

pearlsnblume and Brian Warshaw like this.
  5. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

In the U.S., vessels with those vertical panes are sometimes called 'optic'...which was popular in the 30's an' beyond.
    Very nice size an' shape, Brian...I'm just a bit envious!

Brian Warshaw likes this.
  6. Brian Warshaw

Thank you all. When I first saw reference to the 1960's I thought, "Ah modern", as if it was just yesterday. Of course it was yesterday to me. Thanks again.

wlwhittier and lvetterli like this.
  7. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Ain't it funny...how time slips away?

Draft saved Draft deleted