Featured Update on Delbert Gordon Navajo Pendant w/ Missing Claw

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Joan, Dec 12, 2023.

1. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Last week I posted photos of this pendant asking for ideas on what to do about the missing claw.
    DelbertGordonPendant-1.jpg

Several people offered suggestions, and reader mentioned Perry Null Trading might be able to replace the claw, so I sent them an email. Rocky responded and asked me to send a photo, which I did. Today he sent back a photo of 4 fake bear claws they sell (with a ruler for scale). I resized the photo to match an actual ruler and could see that the empty space on the pendant is more curved and shorter than the claws, so I emailed back thanking him for the photo and explained why the fake claws won't work.

Before I emailed Perry Null last week I asked my husband about possibly carving a wooden claw as a project to work on later this winter when he's looking for something to do. He asked me to draw a pattern, which I did and then I left to run some errands. When I came back, he surprised/shocked me with the finished claw carved from hickory (it took him 3 hours). I thought it looked great, so I gave it 4 coats of tung oil and some wax (haven't glued it in yet). Here's a photo.

DelbertGordonPendant-6.jpg
    Now I don't know what type of cord or chain to hang the pendant on since the bail is so large. I saw examples online with pendants hung on turquoise or silver bead necklaces. I have two turquoise nugget necklaces, but the stones are a different color than the pendant stones. The leather cord in the photo seems too thin. Does anyone have suggestions? And, does anyone know what the little cylindrical dangle/charm represents, or is it just a decorative element?

KSW, Potteryplease, Figtree3 and 16 others like this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

He did a beautiful job!

KSW, reader, smallaxe and 7 others like this.
  3. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Lovely, a really sweet replacement!

KSW, reader, IvaPan and 4 others like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I did not know the drum bead...meant anything..

5. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

He did an amazing job!! That turned out really beautiful. I love the color and the grain pattern.

You're right about using a thicker necklace. I don't know what would be traditional but for myself I'd at least try a braided leather for more thickness.

KSW, reader, IvaPan and 5 others like this.
  6. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I didn't realize it was a drum...I think of drums looking like snare drums. Thank you for enlightening me.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2023
  7. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your compliments--I passed them along to my husband, which made him smile.

KSW, reader, IvaPan and 3 others like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

He done good. It may actually be more wearable now, since the claw is made of wood. No one freaks about a wood chip being used for decoration.

KSW, IvaPan, Joan and 2 others like this.
  9. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

It looks wonderful.
    What a great solution!

KSW, reader, IvaPan and 4 others like this.
  10. komokwa

11. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you, komokwa, for the Native American drum examples in jewelry. That set is amazing and something I've never seen before.

12. komokwa

I've been around SW 1st Nations jewelry since the early 90's but the barrel work is not that well known to me.....still, I find it an interesting addition to the beads I'm so used to seeing...
    You're most welcome !

reader, wlwhittier, stracci and 4 others like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

An excellent solution, and animal-friendly too. Your husband did a good job, not only in shaping it so beautifully, but also his choice of wood.
    Maybe a thick sterling rope chain?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2023
    KSW, reader, wlwhittier and 3 others like this.
  14. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Very nice…kudos!

KSW, wlwhittier, stracci and 2 others like this.
  15. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

He did a fabulous job! It's just lovely.

16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I use a heavy twisted rope chain, I agree with aj.

your other half has done a superb job.

17. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Love the wooden claw, looks fabulous.

KSW, reader, wlwhittier and 2 others like this.
  18. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

A clever fix and beautifully done! Thanks for sharing!

KSW, reader, wlwhittier and 1 other person like this.
  19. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you, AJ. A sterling rope chain sounds like a great idea (and obb agrees)--why didn't I think of that since it seems so appropriate. I have some Italian sterling chains, but none of them are thick enough, so I looked through my Mexican jewelry and found a sterling harmony/chiming ball pendant with a 30" heavy rope chain that I thought I'd swap with an Italian chain.

The rope chain clasp is only marked 925 (not Italy, not Mexico), so it seems it should be okay to use with the Navajo pendant. There's room in the bail for an even heavier chain, but this is the heaviest I have.
    DelbertGordonPendant-7.jpg

Here's the Mexican chiming ball pendant with the Italian rope chain replacement.
    DelbertGordonPendant-8.jpg

KSW, Bronwen, reader and 5 others like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Looks good Joan, it complements the pendant.:) Now you can wear it.:happy:

wlwhittier and Joan like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted