Unusual shaped dish, French? German?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ValerieK, Sep 5, 2021.

1. ValerieK

ValerieK Well-Known Member

I have had this little dish for several years and still haven't come across anything quite like it. I would say the decoration is imari style, but the star shape is intriguing. Is it for nuts, snacks etc? It is numbered 139 in red on the back, which could be English but there is something about this which makes me think continental, don't know why. As far as I can make out it is entirely hand painted. It measures about 8ins or 20.5cms across the tips of the blue points. Any suggestions welcome, including for search terms. Star dish - 1.jpg Star dish - 2.jpg Star dish - 3.jpg Star dish - 4.jpg

judy and KSW like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

British. The one numeral is, for a start and the pattern is typica.

DizzyDaff and judy like this.
  3. The orange stands out nicely

judy likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

You might look at Gaudy Welsh: it's closer to that.

Bakersgma and judy like this.
  5. ValerieK

ValerieK Well-Known Member

Thank you for your responses. I've had a look at Gaudy Welsh Imari and that is certainly a possibility, with Wade Heath one firm to research, although both the shape and the background decoration of lines are both different from any I have found so far. I will stop looking for continental solutions and concentrate on British!

Draft saved Draft deleted