Unusual painting of beautiful horse jumping w/faceless woman rider?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Mar 30, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a thrift store yesterday. I thought the horse was nicely done, but then I noticed the lady rider was faceless!
    The horse looks too well done but the faceless lady rider keeps drawing me away from the horse!
    I tried googling the artist's name but kept getting Herald instead of Hearld?
    Also on the back written in pencil is: This belongs to Laura Houston 1981 - in what looks almost like a child's writing?

Any thoughts or help w/artist would be appreciated.

ART PAINTING HORSE JUMPING WOMAN NO FACE 1AA.jpg ART PAINTING HORSE JUMPING WOMAN NO FACE 2AAA.jpg ART PAINTING HORSE JUMPING WOMAN NO FACE 4AAA.jpg ART PAINTING HORSE JUMPING WOMAN NO FACE 8AAA.jpg ART PAINTING HORSE JUMPING WOMAN NO FACE 9AAA.jpg

2. journeymagazine

Here is writing on back using a different filter.

ART PAINTING HORSE JUMPING WOMAN NO FACE 9AAAc.jpg

3. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

She’s got the side of her face showing Journey.

kyratango, wlwhittier and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I wish the horses eye had some light showing, looks like an empty hole.
    It’s a bit paint by numbers in its style, I feel it’s been copied from a photo or another persons artwork.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
    kyratango likes this.
  5. journeymagazine

My first thought was paint by numbers feel but the horse is done too well - even the muscles under the skin.

6. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

Rather an odd one. Unless the lady rider has heard a sudden gunshot, or a frantic call for help, she should be looking right between that horses ears.

kyratango and Bakersgma like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

komokwa likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's a 1980s "style".

kyratango likes this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I found a Florida painter named Marvin Hearld who is still working. It appears that he was old enough to have also been working in the early 1980s. He does do some paintings of horses, and I found a 2019 painting of a waterfall that was signed HEARLD in all caps. However, the current paintings have more of a smooth style (tighter brushstrokes, I mean). But maybe that could change over almost 40 years?

Here is one of the horse paintings (no signature visible)
    https://fineartamerica.com/featured/the-pony-marvin-hearld.html

Here is the waterfall painting with a signature at lower left.
    https://fineartamerica.com/featured/waterfall-fantasy-marvin-hearld.html

And here is a display of many of his paintings. None of these seem to allow downloading an entire image.
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/marvin-hearld

He also has an Instagram account, which you can find by searching his name. I'm not on Instagram.

I'm not positive that it's the same person, but know you are in Florida, @journeymagazine , so maybe!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
  10. journeymagazine

Not a common spelling/name so maybe - but those look a lot nicer than mine to be honest!

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Yes, but also... he could have improved his technique over time. Yet it might not be the same person.

journeymagazine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted